What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gtn650 updates

swordtail

Well Known Member
What's the difference in the Garmin vs Jeppesen updates for the database? I'm confused, what do most people use. Lots of choices on that page and I wonder how often to update which info. New to GTN so I'm asking. Will the gtn do an approach with outdated data base or just downgrade to non precision? Thanks

As for Nav data on the GTN, very little difference between Garmin and Jepp other than the price.

Yes the GTN will allow an approach with outdated NAV data but that is not recommended or legal if you are IFR.

What you keep updated is totally up to you. The NAV data is require to be updated if you are using it for sole means of navigation.

my gtn downgrades and suspends my approach and i'm trying to figure out why. My Trio pro pilot flies fine from the Ifly 740 but goes the wrong direction when I drive it with the Garmin. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve not being familiar with the gtn.

No difference in navdata between Garmin and Jepp. Garmin is cheaper, which is why I switched this year when it was time to renew. I actually went with Garmin's navdata, obstacle, and terrain package, for a few dollars more than I was paying Jepp just for navdata.

For IFR, you must have up to date NAV data (to be legal at least).

The SkyView system does a far better job of displaying terrain and obstacle information than the GTN-650, so I don?t get those updated in the GTN-650. The SkyView updates are free - so win/win.

Carl

For IFR, you must have up to date NAV data (to be legal at least).
Carl

You can still file /G with an expired database for GTN 6XX/7XX or GNS 4XX/5XX per the AFMS and user manual respectively, provided you validate enroute waypoints. Non-precision approaches cannot be flown with expired databases. Which doesn't make sense to me since you can easily verify that the plate you're using was revised before your database expired so you know nothing has changed, but I imagine it's more for liability than safety.

Last edited:
Back