What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best prop for RV-3A?

dacronwall

Well Known Member
I am happy to report I have my RV3A flying now after repairing the broken motor mount and gear legs. It has a fresh IO-320(160 hp) and a 70CM Sensinich prop with 79 pitch. It's a Vans prop, but they recommend the 81 pitch for the -3.

She flys great, and climbs like heck, but this prop is limited to 2,600 rpm, my engine redlines at 2,700, and I only get about 185 mph out of it with throttle left to give and 1,000 rpm below engine max rpm.

I'm wondering if its worth spending the several hundred bucks to re-pitch my current prop to 81 or 82, or does someone have a recommendation for a new prop that will get me all the performance out of my engine? I would love to have a CS in it, but current engine and my tapped out bank account won't allow it.

Thanks
Dave

The Sensenich ground adjustable carbon fiber prop will let you turn the full 2700 rpm and custom tune the pitch for your engine and airframe. It's not cheap however, but I'm definitely very happy with mine on my RV-6.

Is this TAS, IAS? What's the density altitude? I have the Sensenich (offhand I think is also the 70/79) and 2600 rpm restriction. Down low I too have enough throttle to exceed the rpm restriction in straight and level flight... I feel the original builder optimized my setup for covering ground at or above 8,000 ft.

What's it like at 8,000 ft on a cross country? Probably is making good time :)

For my -4 the prop/pitch is a good compromise.. I wouldn't want to give away any more of my static rpm for takeoff/climb. I'm sure you're a bit slicker w/the 3 and a few hundred bucks sounds like a deal if you determine you want to give the re-pitch a shot.

I'd love to try out the Sensenich GA but just haven't been able to rationalize the purchase... yet! :)

Congrats and have fun!

Stan

Last edited:
It's hard to go wrong with the Sensenich GA prop or with a Catto. Both will turn the rpm you want and both will likely be faster than your metal prop. The cheapest option would be to repitch your current prop.

rv3 prop?

Do you mean re-pitch a metal prop? In earlier years a number of those threw blades. Maybe they're better at it now

I've got a 2010 3-blade Catto 68dia 70pitch on my stock 0320-E2D with 7:1 pistons: 2800 RPM at WOT, 175kts true and 2400fpm climb on a good day at best altitudes (and my airframe is pretty draggy to begin with). If your mission is to fly in rain, metal is best of course. However, that 2600 RPM limit is onerous - I can't imagine having to worry about that, especially in dogfights or acro when RPM can be all over the place

I hear Catto's nickle LE is pretty good in rain. Mine's got the plastic, which doesn't wear at all in light rain throttled back to 2100 RPM or so.

- Steven
800+ RV3 hours
(two more last weekend!)

CALL CRAIG CATTO!!!

Call the Master, do what he recommends and enjoy the ride. Nothing better, nothing easier. Craig is simply the best.

Go Catto !

ps : I'm curious to know if a ground adjustable prop is 'friendly'.

Do you really change your pitch relating to your mission ?

I hear Catto's nickle LE is pretty good in rain. Mine's got the plastic, which doesn't wear at all in light rain throttled back to 2100 RPM or so.

- Steven
800+ RV3 hours
(two more last weekend!)
I have a Catto with nickle leading edges and you still want to slow down in the rain. Not because you will hurt the prop but I found out 200 MPH rain can start to take the paint off your airplane. Duh!

I now slow down to around 175 mph in the rain to save my paint.

RV-3A

Can't help it.....3A - New model with nosegear? Awesome!!:D

Sorry - no throwing tomatoes... I know what he meant:rolleyes:

Greg: Do you only know what he "meant", or do you know what he "said"?

As everyone on this "3" forum knows, he "meant" what he said...

Doug
RV-3"A" tail-dragger :)

repitch it

I had the 81 pitch on my -4 160hp was a good performer all around. It was faster in cruise than my current catto at same rpm.

I wish I hadn't sold it.

cm

Prop me up...

Do you mean re-pitch a metal prop? In earlier years a number of those threw blades. Maybe they're better at it now

I hear Catto's nickle LE is pretty good in rain.
- Steven
800+ RV3 hours
(two more last weekend!)

Steven,
The Sensy 70CM metal prop was specifically designed for RV's (and Thorps and Glasairs). You are allowed one pitch change (bend) without compromising integrity.

Doug,
I never liked the 70CM as it's heavy, has the RPM restriction and is not recommended for acro. Craig Catto allowed me the honor of testing his first RV 2 blade on my RV4 back in the 90's. Several thousand Catto hours later I am running his Gen3 2-blade on my RVX with nickel leading edges. Great prop with dialed in performance across the board per my desired specs given to him and yes, it's rain proof.
I have flown behind the Sensy GA and the WW GA and like them as well. Budgetary constraints aside, the GA props offer lots of flexibility and very modern blade design. Catto props of course are proven and also a great value.

As Jesse mentioned, all three are good options and selling your 70CM on this site won't take long...

Decision time! :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Greg, tomatoes notwithstanding, check the Van's website. The 3A is an improved tailwheel version of the original RV3 with spar beef=up mods. The RV3B has further improvements with wing tanks, QB wings with extruded spar and more....:)
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv3.htm

Last edited:
Back