What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Gas Strut

TnMike

Well Known Member
Thanks to everyone for the advice...I have installed my gas strut similar to Bill's (Fix-N-Fly Guy)

Which strut has anyone used for the RV4 canopy? I want to switch from a metal hinge type to a gas strut design. Any suggestions?
Thanks,Mike

Last edited:
I used a piece of nylon cord. Simple, light, won't leave a mark on the passengers head if you have to jettison canopy. Granted it won't hold the canopy open, but I don't walk away from plane with the canopy open unless it is inside the hangar.

I think I would avoid using a gas strut due to the likelihood of of twisting pressure when closing the canopy. ??

I have a gas strut on mine, and it's a very nice clean installation. The key is to use a neutral pressure strut, which doesn't push up at all. It simply acts as a hold open and if wind blows it over,the canopy doesn't slam down. Mine is only about 8" long and requires very little work to install. I can post pictures later, as I am away from any photos at the moment.

My gas strut

Which strut has anyone used for the RV4 canopy? I want to switch from a metal hinge type to a gas strut design. Any suggestions?
Thanks,Mike

Mike,
I'd follow what Fixinflying guy says.

I installed one on mine last year after I had a blow-over/blow off incident.
I did not know the hold down had fractured (because it is behind my point of view)- and my back seater didn't say anything.

I purchased the strut from McMaster-Carr pat number LGP85-150-30 15' long and 30# of lift.
In retrospect I should have used 50#.
I thought 30 # was way more than the weight of the canopy, but oh well.

The knob end came from the Chevy dealer- it is intended to hold up the rear tailgate of a Suburban/Tahoe (which weighs about 250#) I asked for 2008 (upper bolt) but I think they are all the same though 2015.

It comes with a threaded end, but a cleaner installation was to cut off the bolt and braise an AN-4 bolt to it.

Total cost: about $40 Looks slick.

Daddyman

I have this one in this picture installed, and I think it is replaceable with this one in this link:
http://truck-hardware.orrorr.com/item/gas-springs/gas-springs-with-composite-ends/h-9503-25?:

412155280.jpg
[/IMG]

Photo Please

Mike,

I did not know the hold down had fractured (because it is behind my point of view)- and my back seater didn't say anything.

I purchased the strut from McMaster-Carr pat number LGP85-150-30 15' long and 30# of lift.

The knob end came from the Chevy dealer- it is intended to hold up the rear tailgate of a Suburban/Tahoe (which weighs about 250#) I asked for 2008 (upper bolt) but I think they are all the same though 2015.

It comes with a threaded end, but a cleaner installation was to cut off the bolt and braise an AN-4 bolt to it.

Daddyman

I'd like to do the same thing. And, a picture being worth a thousand words and all, would you mind posting a photo?
Thanks,
Randy

I used a piece of nylon cord. Simple, light, won't leave a mark on the passengers head if you have to jettison canopy. Granted it won't hold the canopy open, but I don't walk away from plane with the canopy open unless it is inside the hangar.

I'm using a piece of nylon cord now too. One of my concerns is that the cord may not break if I try and jettison the canopy in flight. That's some pretty strong cord, and depending on airspeed, it might keep the canopy from cleaning zipping off the hinge.

I'd prefer a gas hinge solution but photos of an install with a decent parts list is hard to come by. I'd sure appreciate some of you guys who have put one together posting the details!
Thanks,
Randy

Mike,

Daddyman

Are you sure that's the McMaster Carr part number? All the struts I found on their website had a part number that looked more like this - 4138T54. Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy,
I used an 80 lb test line... Strong enough to hold on the ground, weak enough to break in the air.

PS- you have great taste in aircraft- F-14 and RV-4. Love jet blue too, fly them from BOS to JAX and back

Last edited:
Mike,

Daddyman

15 feet long? i want to see that installation :D:D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I have a gas strut on mine, and it's a very nice clean installation. The key is to use a neutral pressure strut, which doesn't push up at all. It simply acts as a hold open and if wind blows it over,the canopy doesn't slam down. Mine is only about 8" long and requires very little work to install. I can post pictures later, as I am away from any photos at the moment.
Hi Bill, Please post or send pics to [email protected].
Much appreciated, Mike

Gas Strut canopy hold open.

20160211_183211_zpshjvljqgt.jpg

20160211_183147_zpsq6tz0lsl.jpg

20160211_183228_zpsaapvki0k.jpg
IMG]
20160211_183327_zpskw3jmgf5.jpg

Here is my "gas strut" installation. Its actually a damper for an airliner overhead bin I salvaged from my day job. It has no real push or pull, but its set up to hold the canopy in the normal open position, and if let go when closing it will slow the fall. Its 12" from eye to eye in full open. I just made a little attach angle that bolts to roll bar bolt, an put a large area washer each side of the bolt in the cross member. I sat in the back seat and open/closed the canopy to determine where the cross member bolt hole needed drilled..no real science, just simple and looks aircraft grade. Somewhere, I have some spares, but I believe any similar light weight automotive type will do the same.Mine has Heim type ends, but is mounted parallel with cross member, so that's not really an issue.

Hi Bill-

Any chance you could get your hands on another one of those gas struts from the overhead bin? I could PayPal you some cash. I'd like to do my -4 just like you have yours set up. I ordered a strut, but it's not going to work.

Thanks!
JN

I'm looking..

I searched my hangar inventory of various salvaged do-dads and what-nots, and cant find any others exactly like the one I have installed on my canopy. I know at one time I had several, so if and when I uncover them I will post. In the mean time, I will also look at similar equivelants, as they can be abundant at times...just threw out an entire B757 and B777 interior to the crusher...most would simply cry.

Back