What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Cockpit Size??

rfidler

I'm New Here
Recently sat in a RV4 where current owner pilot and builder who is about 5'9" and could not close canopy due to my head was in the way. Seat pan cushion was about 3" thick and was setting pan made to same height as top of spare. The only mod I could see making a cushion that sat on the space behind the spare that is approx. 3" lower than the wing spar. Not sure if I would fit even after I did that. I am 6' with long torso.

Any wisdom out in RV land would could offer some advice or is this mission impossible that is getting someone my size into a RV4?

The seat cushion in my -4, and I believe most others, sat on the floor aft of the spar. Shouldn't be a problem for a 6' person to fit.

Did you not remove the cushion and sit on the floor, to see how you fit? Unmodified RV4 roll bars are all the same height. As you look at various RV4 you will see that canopies are mounted with varying amount of space to the top of the roll bar. Therefore the top of roll bar is a pretty good gauge to judge your headroom requirements. I would sit in that rv4 again, on the floor (cushion removed), and see how you fit. Then look at the canopy space to the roll bar. Now you will know if you need a higher mounted canopy or a thinner seat, or both. Personally I liked the looks of the lower canopies, and that was what I searched for, and at 5'11" I am happy.

edit...aslo, I was able to close the canopy on a 6' 4" dude, but his head was close.

Last edited:
If it was/is cold, any chance the memory foam seat cushion was hard? In my -4 & in the winter it takes a while for the seat cushion to warm up & soften. At 5'8 my headroom is a little tight until it does.

I modified the seat bottom and seat back cusions to sit lower and farther back in my -4. I'm 6'2" and am very happy with the fit now.

Alex

also look at the position of the roll bar. if it is mounted a little far forward it tilts the seat back forward and put your head farther forward in the canopy where it is starting to slope down. after I installed my oregon aero seats, which I had them make about 1 to 1/1/4 inches shorter in the seat pan, I moved my roll bar back one inch and gained the extra head room I needed. be careful though and make sure the aft stick will not hit the seat back at full forward stick throw.

bob burns
rv-4
N82RB

If built to plans, then the seat base would be a cushion on the floor (3" portion below/behind spar) and angled up and then over the spar. The seat back is hinged to the floor, and can be located to suit the builder/pilot, with the upper part resting against the roll bar.
There is a "tall man mod" that positions the roll bar further aft (till it just clears the canopy cross brace).
The canopy however, may have been installed lower than others limiting ultimate headroom.
Rudder peddles can be rigged to suit.
I am 6'5" and 220lbs and am quite comfortable in my RV-4. I have the tall man mods, as well as a slight mod to mount the top of the seat back behind the roll bar.
It should not be too hard to find and/or modify an RV-4 to fit you.

Sean

6'2", 240 pounds, Todds canopy, roll bar moved back 2", bottom of instrument panel cut even with fuselage rails, and I fit perfectly. I can get out quick if I need to as well. Memory foam seats, if it's cold and I try to close canopy right away, it hits top of headset. After it warms up, no problem. Great plane.

Back