What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

looking for a Prop

ERO

I'm New Here
Started looking for a prop for my Rv4. o-320 160hp. Called the folks at Catto and they told me to come up with some number first for my plane and then they can set me up. Not sure if I want to go Catto, that a lot of avgas! What's everyone running and what are you getting for performance? Thanks fellas!

Cheers!

My free advice, get the catto and be done.

If you do a search for catto flight test, i compared the 2 blade, 3 blade and the Sensenish metal prop. There are performance numbers included in the thread. I bought another catto for my new plane.

Mission/Cost

I built my 160hp -4 on a very tight budget, yet no shortcuts. My mission was for cheap fun, some X-country and reliability. I hadent even heard of Catto when looking for a prop, only recommendations were Aymar-Demuth, Sterba and the Vans offered selections. I found a second hand Sterba that I picked up for $200.00, re-finished and have flown for 250 hrs. I get 165mph cruise, great T/O performance and fly with a bunch of other RV's and an F1 Rocket. I want a Catto, have no doubt I will get one some day, but I have a blast with my Sterba, and every one loves the look...dirt cheap.I think most RV owners will own more than one prop in their life, but you have to start somewhere!

Catto Prop

I called Craig and asked if he could make me a prop for and experimental engine that turns backwards, counterclockwise as seen from the cockpit. He just wanted to know what RPMs I would be running. Where peak torque would be and what aircraft it would be put on. Then he made the perfect prop for my aircraft engine combo. Awesome! He is easy to work with and makes a great propeller. The guy sure knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Sterba

Jim, if you can't afford a high end prop such as a Catto, a Sterba prop seems to be an excellent alternative. I originally bought a Sterba, 68x72 and paid $650.00. It was a beautiful and well crafted prop. I sold it to a guy who put it on his RV-4. He reported that it was a perfect size and pitch and was getting a solid 165kts at cruise. You have to call Ed Sterba and tell him what you need. He custom builds his props to order and it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get it.

The Sensenich ground adjustable carbon fiber prop is another excellent performer. it's more expensive than the Catto however, but more quickly available.

prop for RV4

I've always had a wood prop on my 4 and love it.
Light weight, easy maintenance, and lower cost.
Check out Performancepropellersusa.com. He makes a beautiful prop and can put on a nickel edge for rain.
My next prop will be from them...

http://performancepropellersusa.com/

Great results with Catto Prop

My Catto 70/70 2 blade prop was the lightest, best performing, least expensive, most durable and best looking prop option I could find when I was searching for the "optimum prop" for my 170 HP IO-320 RV-8.

Craig Catto promised 200 mph at 8000" at max power / 2800 RPM with my engine / prop combination and it consistently does 203 mph.

I can climb 2000 FPM at 1450 lbs and 950 FPM at 1800 lbs under std day conditions.

O-360 RV7 with 3rd gen Catto 68X74 with Nickel leading edges full power is 178knts TAS(ish) at 2750 RPM. I prefer to climb at 130 knots for more power/cooling without much climb penalty.

Another Vote for Catto

I bought my RV-4 flying with an Aymar-Demuth wood prop. It flew well and the guy I sold that prop to is quite happy. With my short gear I opted for the Catto three blade on my O-320 and am quite pleased. Craig is right on with his performance specs! Consequently the Catto prop looks great on the ground and in the air...FWIW.

Whirlwind

The whirlwind ground adjustable is another option. I flew both a Catto two blade and a whirlwind two blade on my -9A with no real noticeable difference, whirlwind is a touch heavier but is adjustable and perhaps more readily available, similar price a couple years ago.

Whirlwind 150C.... Solo and less than 16 gallons of fuel on take off, I rotate and hold 80kts and peg the vsi at 4,000 fpm. In level flight I can exceed 180 kts.

Back