What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medical question

svanarts

Well Known Member
Last time I checked, the FARs said that if you're under forty, you only have to get a medical every three years. If you have a medical when you are 39, when must you get your next medical?

3 years

It has to do with your age at the date of the exam. So in the case you mentioned, if you have the exam when you're 39, you're good to go for 36 more months (you'll be 42 when you next need an exam). As per Part 61.23:

(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (715 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

Looks like I will be getting my medical renewed (next summer) before I turn 40!

Good question, Scott! Thanks Dan!

:D CJ

Wah-hoo!

dan said:
It has to do with your age at the date of the exam. So in the case you mentioned, if you have the exam when you're 39, you're good to go for 36 more months (you'll be 42 when you next need an exam). As per Part 61.23:

(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (715 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

I just want to be sure because I just sent my insurance renewal back and I think they are going to balk at my medical date. However, you just confirmed what I found so I should be in pretty good shape. Thanks for for the confirmation, Dan!

Oh, and howdy doo Cap'n J!

Back