What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notification 14-06-30, Re-Route of VA-215 Oil Return Hose

FredC

Subject notification was released by Van's on June 30th, 2014. At or before the next annual condition inspection, it requires inspecting the VA-213 Oil Supply Hose and VA-125 Oil Return Hose for signs of chaffing, then re-routing the oil return hose.

Per steps 3 and 4, I was unable to just disconnect the VA-215 Oil Return Hose from the oil tank and re-route it. I had to also disconnect it from the bottom of the engine, then pull it all the way out from the bottom. After inspection I inserted the 90 deg. fitting from the top between the WD-1220 Engine Mount and the WD-1221 Engine Mount Standoff, then routed the hose back down to the bottom of the engine and reconnected it.

Still lots of stuff crammed into small spaces, but the new routing is much better.

Fred Carnes

Not an easy process for me either.

How hard can moving the oil hose really be? Harder than it looked. I almost disconnected the hose from the bottom of the engine as well but wanted to avoid repurging the system, so I eventually "managed" to pull the hose down through the engine mount and then feed it back up to the external tank. But!, as the space to work is tight and being impatient to get this done, I successfully managed to tug on one of the purple wires that feeds into the ignition modules and break it off the insertion pin :eek:. One of those one step forward, two steps back moments.

Of course, its a unique pin that needed to be ordered from Lockwood which cost only a few bucks but took several days to arrive and I needed to partially disconnect/remove the ignition modules to get my fat hands down in there to reconnect the pin to the proper connector socket. Fortunately, everything went back together the way it was suppose to.

After you finish that daily, steady building routine those small motor skills get a little rusty and these relatively routine adjustments or change orders become more challenging. But I signed up for this so I'm not complaining.

Back