What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

acceptable repair to fuel line?

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I fear that I cross threaded the fitting for the Forward Fuel Return Line where it attaches to the F-1204 bulkhead. Installing a new line will be "challenging:eek:" due to the rudder assembly, wiring, and panel. I'm going E-LSA. Is it considered an acceptable repair technique to divide the line in some convenient place (e.g. near the fuel flow sensor), remove & replace the affected portion to the rear and then join the two sections with a union?

thanks for any advice,
-dbh

From 43.13 1B, "Repair of Metal Tube Lines. Minor dents and scratches in tubing may be repaired. Scratches or nicks not deeper than 10 percent of the wall thickness in aluminum alloy tubing, that are not in the heel of a bend, may be repaired by burnishing with hand tools. Replace lines with severe die marks, seams, or splits in the tube. Any crack or deformity in a flare is unacceptable and cause for rejection. A dent less than 10 percent of the tube diameter is not objectionable unless it is in the heel of a bend. A severely-damaged line should be replaced; however, it may be repaired by cutting out the damaged section and inserting a tube section of the same size and material. Flare both ends of the undamaged and replacement tube sections and make the connection by using standard unions, sleeves, and tube nuts. If the damaged portion is short enough, omit the insert tube and repair by using one union and two sets of connection fittings."

Since you are building ELSA you need to check with Van's to get authorization to deviate from the plans.

Back