What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Version 11 released today

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Highlights relevant to RV-12 configurations:

New: All terrain databases improved. Not technically dependent on 11.0 (will work on all SkyView systems), but released concurrently. All customers should download updated very low, low and high resolution terrain databases.

New: Support for SV-COM-X83 8.33 kHz COM radio. [Useful EX-US]

New: Support for Video Input Adapter. Allows display of video via NTSC and PAL S-video and composite connections. Note: Only compatible with SkyView Touch and newer SkyView SV-D1000 (s/n >= 6000) and SV-D700 (s/n >= 4000) displays.

New: Virtual-DME (non-certified) distance to VORs via GPS when the VOR identifier is known. Magenta distance is displayed on HSI info area on PFD.

New: SHOW AIRSPACES WITHIN XXXX FT option to declutter airspaces that aren?t a factor at the current aircraft altitude.

New: Wide field of view option for Synthetic Vision under PFD > MODE > WIDE. Setting also proportionately scales the pitch ladder.

New: Option to turn on color-coded weather ?dots? at airports with METARS via MAP MENU > WEATHER OPTIONS > METAR ICONS (SV-ADSB-470 required). [Should look closer to what ForeFlight shows I would think]

New: BARO will now sync to either the nearest METAR (when ADS-B is available in-flight), to 29.92 (when at/above 18k feet or no ADS-B on board), or to make the altimeter match GPS altitude (when on the ground). [Great feature]

Added: Alerts are now recorded in the user datalog. These are in a new file - ALERT_DATA.csv - so to not affect compatibility with 3rd party utilities that can utilize SkyView datalogs.

Added: Alert when EMS sensor definition files do not match across multiple displays in a SkyView system.

Added: Setup option to display or suppress tail numbers of other ADS-B equipped aircraft (requires SV-ADSB-470).

Added: Caution alert if transponder hex code is not set.

Added: Option to alert the pilot when the current BARO setting and the nearest METAR-based altimeter setting are significantly different (requires SV-ADSB-470).

Added: Audible ?AUTOPILOT? callout when the autopilot is engaged.

Added: Support for CAN-based MWFly engine via SV-EMS-221

Added: Alerts when SV-AP-PANEL, SV-KNOB-PANEL go offline.

Added: Alert when an external Level button is connected and detected stuck at boot.

Added: Ability to suppress the units (F, PSI, etc) on EMS widgets via EMS SETUP > SENSOR SETUP > [individual sensor settings]

Added: GPS-based distances to bearing sources in HSI info area (when only one bearing source is displayed).

Added: Alert for detectable audio subsystem failures.

Added: MAP MENU > FLIGHT PLAN OPTIONS > PLAN GROUND SPEED lets SkyView perform ETE, ETA, and other speed-dependent calculations at a user-specified ground speed when not flying. [Another useful feature for pre-flight planning]

Added: Support for South African SRA and other rare airspaces. Part of MAP ITEMS > UNKNOWN ALERT AIRSPACES category.

Improved: Autopilot speed limits will not allow engagement or operation above 95% of Vne when Vne is expressed as TAS.

Improved: Traffic service/device reception quality indicator on map page.

Improved: MAP MENU > MAP ITEMS > SHOW AIRSPACES BELOW changed to HIDE AIRSPACES ABOVE for clarity.

Improved: Autopilot trim-up and trim-down sensing and annunciation.

Improved: Additional failure detection and annunciation of rate sensors, accelerometers, and pressure transducers in the SV-ADAHRS-20X upon boot.

Improved: Alert that annunciates if there is no high-res terrain available for the current aircraft location (usually because a different world region is loaded).

Improved: Distance and speed units settings are now separately set.

Improved: Fuel efficiency can now be displayed in L/100km.

Improved: Magnetic heading calibration procedure now lets pilot choose the direction aircraft is pointed in.

Improved: SkyView displays start-up much quicker, allowing for quicker use of PFD and EMS functions. Map databases are now loaded after initial boot.

Improved: Map database expirations on map at startup are more verbose.

Improved: Joystick knob menu now annunciates successful sync of any bug or BARO setting when you press/hold the joystick knob.

Improved: Bugs can now be turned on and off per display via PFD>BUGS. The presence of an autopilot no longer forces all bugs to be shown on all displays.

Improved: EMS pulses per revolution settings moved to HARDWARE CALIBRATION > EMS CALIBRATION > TACHOMETER CALIBRATION.

Improved: Display dimming algorithm and menu control scheme improved to disallow brightness settings that would result in an illegible (too dim) display.

Improved: Airport identifiers on MAP are now white to improve legibility.

Improved: On-ground logic for showing terrain highlighting on map to reduce red/yellow map saturation immediately after takeoff

Improved: Screenshots now export to PNG format instead of BMP for better cross-platform compatibility (you?re welcome Applefolk). [They're listening]

Improved: Track line now defaults to DISTANCE + TIME.

Improved: PFD>XPNDR menu no longer has a time-out that automatically backs out of menu.

Improved: AOA alert volume can now be set independently of Master Volume and other Alert Volumes.

Improved: After CLEAR ALL DATA (data logs), a confirmation message appears that all data log records have been cleared.

Fixed: G-meter can now accommodate aircraft that have a positive lower G limit.

Fixed: ?Check Canopy Latch? alerts no longer repeats.

Fixed: Analog airspeed indicator needle in six-pack mode now ?settles? lower than the first graduated airspeed marking when at rest.

Fixed: Active TFRs now correctly prioritized over upcoming TFRs when using the Map Pointer.

Fixed: NAVIGATE button can be pressed after importing a flight plan to put it to immediate use.

Fixed: Reassigning knob functions was not possible via Touch while in TOOLS>TIMER menu.

Fixed: SV-AP-PANEL backlight now turns off when SkyView is off.

Fixed: Support for GX-60 via ?GENERIC AVIATION? serial format type.

Fixed: MDA bug state not saved across power cycles.

Fixed: Track line would always turn off after a reboot.

Fixed: SV-COM-PANEL status LED flashed too fast.

Fixed: Winds aloft forecast used the most future forecast instead of the immediately upcoming forecast time period.

Fixed: If dual ADAHRS installed, during magnetic calibration and one ADAHRS fails, a message appears denoting which unit failed the calibration.

Thanks Brent. Much appreciated.
I still haven't learned 10.1 yet!
Kinda' like taking a drink from a fire hose. . . . :eek:

In the FWIW dept?when I collected my new SLSA from Vans they told me to wait, whenever a new Dynon OS update came out.
To wait, long enough, for them to see if there were any 'bugs' in it that were pertinent to the RV-12 ?once they've reviewed it then they would give the okay to update it.

Has this been the experience of other RV-12 owners?

We've carried out a number of software upgrades on our (dual) SkyView equipped RV-12.

This is our own installation (UK based) so not a Van's factory avionics kit but we have never had an issue in carrying out the upgrades. Okay, from time to time the odd bug has been discovered by Dynon but they're only minor ones and have caused an issue for us.

If you want a real laugh try upgrading a G1000 Cessna - if you've got all grade to get it back to where you started from....

Version 11 installed this evening on our RV-12. Took about 20 minutes to do both screens, no problems.

Thanks, Dynon!

Rev 11

I loaded rev. 11 yesterday, including the data updates, and noticed a change in the boot up routine. Now, after the main screen comes up, the map has a warning that says "Databases loading, Map functions unavailable" This stays on for 15 seconds, or so, and then everything seems normal from there. So, is this something new, or had I just not noticed it before?

Tom

Tom,
That delay on the map is new, but the tradeoff is the whole system boots much faster now.

See the release notes posted above:

"Improved: SkyView displays start-up much quicker, allowing for quicker use of PFD and EMS functions. Map databases are now loaded after initial boot."

Tom,
That delay on the map is new, but the tradeoff is the whole system boots much faster now.

See the release notes posted above:

"Improved: SkyView displays start-up much quicker, allowing for quicker use of PFD and EMS functions. Map databases are now loaded after initial boot."

Thanks for the reply. I am a true Dynon supporter. Enjoyed the Oshkosh class, and I picked up quite a few more pointers, even though I have been using my Skyview, and have about 60 hrs on it,

Dynon Rocks!!

Tom

I did my version 11download but I am still not sure about downloading the low and very low mapping update. One part makes it sound like this gets updated with version 11, and then in the download section there was a link to download this addition update. I have it download to a thumb drive and it did take an hour or better as the directions advised. It will take a while to upload from the thumb drive to the Skyview

Anyone else working this out? The previously mention message in the map window does appear for me too and then disappear. Thanks for the clarification on this change.

I just did mine. The Very low is included in the 11 update. You need to download the high and low separately and load them using the load files function. Only the one large one (2.5gig) takes quite a long time to load. the rest are fast.

It took about 2 hrs to do everything on mine. Its worth it though as the detailed terrain is great!

I mentioned earlier I upgraded our RV-12 in about 20 minutes per screen.

Being a tad dim, that was for the V11 software only and I hadn't of course downloaded the maps. I did that this evening and it is indeed close to 2 hours per screen....

Next time, I'll have the good idea (before I start) of downloading the info onto two USB sticks and installing onto both screens at the same time! :)

mac users

Are the terrain updates compatible with Mac? Seems like I'm having a problem. Extremely slow...like forecasting 7+hours

Are the terrain updates compatible with Mac? Seems like I'm having a problem. Extremely slow...like forecasting 7+hours

Same happened on my PC, I stopped it a couple times and tried a few minutes later, until it predicted about one hour. Seemed like a busy server problem. Then I left the office for home and found it loaded on the USB stick this morning.

Back