What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax throttle linkage

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I'm just connecting the end of the throttle cable to the VA-219/MS21045-3 assembly on the throttle arm. Is there a specific torque to use here or is it a case of `tighten until it feels about right'? I can't find any guidance in the Rotax manuals either, unless I missed it.

Thanks Tony, that clears it up ... 8-10 in.lb. Incidentally, although it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, I would have thought it would be a good idea to lock-wire the two M6 nut/lock washers on the cable bracket. I have done so anyway, just in case those nuts ever work loose.

Be careful about tightening the carb throttle arm nut down on the cable. I see way to many too tight and it cuts the cable strands. It only needs to be tight enough to keep it from slipping. Leave some extra cable (2"-3" ) sticking out the other side. If you need to trim a frayed end after you take it out and need to put it back through the small eyelet and you have already trimmed it too short you may get stuck replacing the cable instead of just trimming the cable end.

Thanks Tony, that clears it up ... 8-10 in.lb. Incidentally, although it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, I would have thought it would be a good idea to lock-wire the two M6 nut/lock washers on the cable bracket. I have done so anyway, just in case those nuts ever work loose.

BTW, I just looked at the Maintenance Manual posted 7/12/14 and page 12-10 (Rev 4) says tighten this hardware to 15 to 20 inch-lb. My original MM page 12-10 (Rev 1) said to tighten this hardware to 35 inch-lb, which was waaay too tight and could bind and/or damage the hardware and the cable.

Last edited:
You WILL over time have to remove these cables for some types of maint. down the road. Do not crush these flat or beyond repair.

that clears it up ... 8-10 in.lb.

The 8-10 inch pounds specified in the KAI is the correct value. The M.M. value was an oversight and will be corrected in a future update.

BTW, this is the only fastener I am aware of that Rotax does not specify a torque value for. As mentioned, it needs to be high enough to not slip on the cable, but low enough to not crush it.

The problem is, most of the inch pound torque wrenches being used will not measure these low values.

Back