VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 AM

One caveat - if you install the PlaneAround door locking system, you will probably have to have a gap in the wood.

John
Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngoodman View Post
One caveat - if you install the PlaneAround door locking system, you will probably have to have a gap in the wood.

John

I don't thnk there will be a gap, but there certainly be an indentation for the block. I still have about a 1/4" in front of the blocks to the edge of the mid cabin support corner.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 PM

How did you all install these sills? I have the Aerosport carbon sills, and it's not clear what the best way to attach them is.

Do you cut the carbon sill to shape and then use a bead of epoxy? I saw a note about glassing in the sill, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Thanks all, and thanks for your patience with maybe a dumb Q!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sritchie View Post
How did you all install these sills? I have the Aerosport carbon sills, and it's not clear what the best way to attach them is.
The sills shown above are different than the Aerosport ones, the ones from Aerosport aren't 'raised' and match the profile of the existing space. I happened to install the Aerosport ones recently so I can tell you what I did. In my case I had the top on, glassed in and the plane around latch all installed. If you are doing this prior to installing the cabin top you could do it different
  • Removed 3rd door latch block.
  • Measured and trimmed each sill for length and cut.
  • Made measurements with a sliding square about every 6 inches and then transcribed that onto carbon fiber sill piece.
  • Trimmed the sill piece to match the markings with about a 1/16th extra (ie on the outside of the drawn line)
  • Then it was just back and forth holding it up, sanding a bit, holding it back up and sanding some more. Takes time but I wanted it flat on both angles and close to the cabin top filet as possible.
  • Roughed up paint and then coated the inside of the sill with 3M two part adhesive.
  • Clamped the piece in place and removed any overage.
  • Once cured, removed clamps, sanded the bottom of the 3rd latch blocks a bit and called it good.

Donated for 2018
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Thanks Justin, this is fantastic!