VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > VAF Classifieds (posts in here deleted after 30 days)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff729 View Post
According to the apple.com website, ALL models of the Ipad mini (and other sizes) of the latest version have GPS and GLONASS. See here & scroll to the bottom: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
Incorrect.

The chart shows that only the "WiFi + Cellular" has GPS and GLONASS. All models are at the top of the chart. The "WiFi + Cellular" is what I call the Cellular model. When purchasing, one has the option of the "WiFI" model or the "WiFi + Cellular" model.

No the WiFi and Cellular models do NOT both have GPS and GLONASS.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:49 PM

I think you are misreading the specification page. "WiFi + Cellullar" = Cellular model.

EDIT: Same as what Condor said.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 PM

I,m not convinced I'd take that as Gospel truth, its an expensive way to find out the non-cellular phone is not giving you the GPS data to drive your Flight Navigation APP, also creating a hot spot with another device (your mobile phone) sounds good in theory but it burns thru battery power in doing it-on a short flight maybe OK but anything more than a couple of hours and you will have a flat device battery or need more cables threading around the cockpit just to keep that device charged as well.

Better just to buy a Cellular mini IPAD in the first instance IMHO.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Default Oops on the iPad

I may be incorrect and for that I apologize. I see how you're reading it. I printed the chart out and was going to take it to my local apple store to check on that but haven't had the time yet. Thank you for the heads up before I made my purchase.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Yes. Only the cellular data version of the new iPad has internal GPS/GLONAAS. In alignment with the legacy of iPads.

Jim
Old 05-15-2018, 08:52 AM

I can confirm that there are two types of logic boards inside the iPad mini. A cellular one and a non-cellular one. The Cellular one does have a built in GPS chip which is required to meet E911 standards for cellular communication devices. The cellular logic board will fit into a non-cellular case, but the antenna pack will not. The logic board is about .5"x 3" along the side of the case. The GPS antenna is remoted behind the plastic cover on the top of the iPad.

We do repair of handheld technology at work quite often and unless Apple changed something in the past few days, the mini 4 wifi does not have GPS.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Default GPS from ADS-B?

Just a reminder that if your plan, as it is for many, is to use the tablet to display ADS-B-in traffic and weather data in addition to navigation data, and you have an integrated in/out ADS-B system with WiFi, then you can most likely use the GPS data from your ADS-B feed for navigation. One such example is the echoUAT/SkyFX system. This makes the internal tablet GPS a less critical requirement.
I use Naviator on an Android tablet that does have GPS, but in the ADS-B settings menu, there is an option "Use ADS-B as GPS source". I imagine that most tablet apps have a similar selection.
FWIW,
Andy
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Default iPad 9.7

I picked up the new iPad 9.7 non-cell for ~$230. Apple has a trade in program so I brought in an old iPhone. As long as it powers up, they give you credit. My iPhone 6 was worth $100.

Love the screen and processors of the 9.7. Paired it with my GDL39-3D.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM

My Ipad Mini 4 wifi (model A1538) does indeed have GPS. I purchased it at Best Buy when it was on sale in January 2018, for something like $320.

The "assisted" for the cellular models likely means it will use cell towers to speed up the location lock. Poor wording on their spec sheet.

Unless my wifi model is the only one, they do have GPS...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
My Ipad Mini 4 wifi (model A1538) does indeed have GPS. I purchased it at Best Buy when it was on sale in January 2018, for something like $320.

The "assisted" for the cellular models likely means it will use cell towers to speed up the location lock. Poor wording on their spec sheet.

Unless my wifi model is the only one, they do have GPS...
Again, Wi-Fi only models do not have a GPS. What makes you think yours does?

See this post:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...5&postcount=11
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned