- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Default New build - bent aluminum question

Hi All,
I'm a new builder staring a -14A. Working on Vertical Stabilizer (after having done the SportAir class and a few practice kits) and really enjoying it.
Today I was working on the top tip rib, part VS-706, on the step where I need to radius the corners at the Tip Rib flange to ensure a good fit when skins are installed.

While making the radius on the scotch-brite wheel, I accidentally caught it wrong and it bounced off of the wheel and slightly bent the forward tip of the rib.
Picture below:

It will install fine, but wondering if the part should be replaced? I of course want a "near-perfect" plane, but trying to maintain pragmatism and not be overzealous during the build. The light during the pic makes it worse than it is.

Also - why were the Ribs not sent in blue vinyl? I am pretty sure no clear vinyl on them. Just seems strange considering nearly everything else was sent still covered.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RV-14A Kit #140477
http://www.rkulesa.com/category/building-a-plane/
Empennage in progress

Last edited by rjkulesa@gmail.com : 05-05-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Close call maybe but I would replace that one. I replaced the same part because I over aggressively eased the edges.

It’s the kind of thing that will bug you if you leave as is. Not that there aren’t a few of those still installed in my build. Some non-alclad parts come sans vinyl. Just did my roll bar and it was the same way as have been many parts along the way.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 05-05-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Rib

Cheap part, cheap shipping. Replace and sleep.
You obviously know why it caught.
Tip. Swap the wheel on the opposite end for a buffing disk. That way, if your part catches on the opposite wheel you won't have to order a new part. Don't ask how I know or what that lesson cost!
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 AM

If you're gonna order a new one, you might as well at least practice re-shaping that piece. I wouldn't be surprised if you could massage it back to near-perfect.

Chris
Old 05-05-2018, 12:56 PM

The pieces that do not have blue vinyl are I believe are usually not ALCLAD aluminum.

section 5.1 says

All non-alclad aluminum parts such as 6061-T6 must be primed. Control System Pushrods must be primed both inside and out. (Do
not prime inside of fuel or brake lines.)

RV14A Tail kit build in process
RV 14 WIKI in process, residing on Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.
EAA 1300
Donation Paid 2018 (Military exempt) Cause its worth it.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkulesa@gmail.com View Post
Also - why were the Ribs not sent in blue vinyl? I am pretty sure no clear vinyl on them. Just seems strange considering nearly everything else was sent still covered.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bent parts, like these, are made from 6061. Initially in a soft state (T0) to yield in the forming process, then they are heat treated for strength to T6 state.

The blue vinyl is applied at vans prior to the CNC punch, cutting, rolling processes to protect the finish ( and thin layer of pure aluminum) of the 2024 parts.

Funny Vans recommends a general priming of 6061 parts as DoD testing shows just about any primer is ok for them, 2024 (with it's alloy) has very specific needs for corrosion protection. Do what Vans recommends, though.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
2017 Dues Paid
Old 05-05-2018, 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Agree with all the sentiments, Iíll just replace and not worry about it. I was smart enough to replace the other wheel with a buffing disc, but not clever enough to avoid this mistake. Lesson learned.

I was pretty sure those parts were non-alcad, but this pretty much confirms it also.

RV-14A Kit #140477
http://www.rkulesa.com/category/building-a-plane/
Empennage in progress
Old 05-05-2018, 05:02 PM

With experience, you will reform that part, inspect, use it or not and make your decision.
If it where me, I would use my back rivet plate or anvil and try to work the web back into shape with a flush set. If the original damage didn’t stretch the skin too much, it might just bend right back. Since it bent at the break in the flange, check that area for any cracks. If it doesn’t work out, order another part. It won’t take long to try and you gain some good experience.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

OK, I am not an engineer or any such----but I would like to get my $.02 in here.

There are two reasons to replace a part IMHO---one is for structural reasons due to potential failure. The other is to make yourself feel good.

Think about what the design purpose of this part is--------it gives shape to the stab skin. It could probably work fine cut into pieces at each side notch, as long as there are a couple rivets on either side of the notches.

If there is a dent or other defect in the rib, will it interfere with the purpose of the part and will it compromise the structure?

You said that it will install fine...........

As long as there is no cracking at the bottom of the notches, I would probably build on. Trying to do a lot of rework to flatten the part and remove the bent area could very well cause more damage than just leaving it alone.

Best bet?? Call Vans Monday and get the official word.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
OK, I am not an engineer or any such----but I would like to get my $.02 in here.

There are two reasons to replace a part IMHO---one is for structural reasons due to potential failure. The other is to make yourself feel good.

Think about what the design purpose of this part is--------it gives shape to the stab skin. It could probably work fine cut into pieces at each side notch, as long as there are a couple rivets on either side of the notches.

If there is a dent or other defect in the rib, will it interfere with the purpose of the part and will it compromise the structure?

You said that it will install fine...........

As long as there is no cracking at the bottom of the notches, I would probably build on. Trying to do a lot of rework to flatten the part and remove the bent area could very well cause more damage than just leaving it alone.

Best bet?? Call Vans Monday and get the official word.
Most of that. Thanks Mike.
Personally, I would have expelled only one four letter word, then just picked it up off the floor and continued executing with the "new", "untested", "experimental" part, that I would continue to "adjust" to meet my needs. If need be, that whole part is easily made from scratch in the shop in less time than waiting for the UPS guy to make his way down the street. I really feel for the people at Vans that answer the phones. Like Mike said, that part could even be sliced up into multiple pieces, if you're comfortable with that, and still be made to be serviceable.

"Build on."
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 05-05-2018 at 06:36 PM.