VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Default RV-14 skin and rear spar Lengths

I'm redoing my priming booth and want to make sure it's long enough for the longest pieces in the kit that I have to prime.

Right now I think that would be:
-HStab Spar (I have)
-Rear Wing Spar/s
-Wing Skin/s

Could someone with the wing kit do some quick measurements for me?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM

The spar does not require priming. If your booth is big enough for your HS spar that should be big enough for every other unprimed part.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:03 PM

The front spar is pre-assembled, clear anodized and does not require any priming. However, the rear spar is just a bent sheet of 0.040 in. 2024-T3 aluminum.

I'm not working on the wings yet, but I did scale the wing dimension from three view drawing and measured the root to start of the fiberglass wingtip to be about 10.2 ft. The HS spars are 9.5 ft. each.

When I built my spray booth I made it 15 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft. Details are in my construction log.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 10 October 2018
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" is the opposite of "find". "Loose" means "not tight".
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
The spar does not require priming. If your booth is big enough for your HS spar that should be big enough for every other unprimed part.
Agreed on the first point. My question pertains to the "rear" spar that is just un-anodized AL.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOut View Post
The front spar is pre-assembled, clear anodized and does not require any priming. However, the rear spar is just a bent sheet of 0.040 in. 2024-T3 aluminum.

I'm not working on the wings yet, but I did scale the wing dimension from three view drawing and measured the root to start of the fiberglass wingtip to be about 10.2 ft. The HS spars are 9.5 ft. each.

When I built my spray booth I made it 15 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft. Details are in my construction log.

Thanks for the info, I did a similar thing trying to figure it out. I'm doing long and skinny as well, but I can't quite fit 15 ft.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Agreed on the first point. My question pertains to the "rear" spar that is just un-anodized AL.
Ender, sorry about that. I'm about a year into the wing kit and long ago primed the rear spar. My paint booth is about 10'x10' and so far I have not had any issues with a part being too big to spray. At the very worst I've had to reposition a part or two for complete coverage while spraying, but that was no big deal.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
Ender, sorry about that. I'm about a year into the wing kit and long ago primed the rear spar. My paint booth is about 10'x10' and so far I have not had any issues with a part being too big to spray. At the very worst I've had to reposition a part or two for complete coverage while spraying, but that was no big deal.
THANKS for the info!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOut View Post

Have you had any issues with wet paint making it's way out of your fans and onto your neighbors car/house etc? I live in suburba-**** and don't want to **** anyone off. The vapors seem to dissipate on my current setup quickly, but it wasn't venting during painting.

Nice booth by the way.