Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2018, 09:21 PM

I have a Thunderbolt/FM150 combination too. I ordered the mod kit and opened it up today.

I installed mine and did it without the spacer. I was worried that the snorkel would not fit right because the phenolic spacer pushes the FM150 about 3/8 inch more forward. I also didn't want to change the engine bolts out; installing the FM150 with standard washer/stars/nuts has plenty of thread length without the spacer. With the spacer you have to change out to 2" studs.

It didn't seem to affect the controls by being bolted up to the sump without the spacer but I'll take a closer look based on the comment above. Clearances looked fine to my first look.

So if I'm wanting to install the mod kit as AFS intended, with the longer studs and the spacer -> does anyone know what that does to the snorkel fit?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 AM

Looked this AM. Sure enough there is interference with the sump. I’ll be adding the spacer. Any feedback on if the snorkel is a problem?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Here is a pic of the mechanism clearance with the spacer. the arm will hit the sump without the spacer.

Larger 970 washers installed on the rod ends

I also removed the threaded end at the mixture arm from the extension and there are 8 full turns of thread inside the rod but as I mentioned I would prefer the extension rod were slightly longer. I can adjust the control rod at the bracket but it's close to being maxed on length as is.

I have mocked up the snorkel but not done the final cutting and it does fit flush to the FM-150, the length is long enough that the difference in angle up at the air filter is very small and no issue with cowl clearance.

I have no idea why Halie rotated my pics..sorry

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/

Last edited by Nova RV : 05-04-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Sorry if this is a hijack of this thread, please delete if you think it is so.

What are the advantage of Airflow performance servo over the skyhwaks that VANs provide.

My engine will be shipped in about a month and if there are enough advantages, I maybe able to change it.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
What are the advantage of Airflow performance servo over the skyhwaks that VANs provide.
A little less "carb loss", the loss of manifold pressure due to intake restriction.

The bore designs are quite different. See Kitplanes, March 2016.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
A little less "carb loss", the loss of manifold pressure due to intake restriction.

The bore designs are quite different. See Kitplanes, March 2016.
Dan,

What is the difference between the Silver Hawk EX-5VA1 offered by Precision Airmotive and the AvStar AVX-5VA1 offered by Lycoming? Is the AvStar just the certified version of the Silver Hawk, or are there other differences?

Thanks,
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 05-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
What is the difference between the Silver Hawk EX-5VA1 offered by Precision Airmotive and the AvStar AVX-5VA1 offered by Lycoming?
I'm sorry Carl, but I know very little about the AvStar units.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I'm sorry Carl, but I know very little about the AvStar units.
Thanks Dan. There appears to be a dearth of information about the AvStar units. I contacted them for maintenance info and they had none, but said they are in the process of formulating ICAs.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 05-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Thanks Dan. There appears to be a dearth of information about the AvStar units. I contacted them for maintenance info and they had none, but said they are in the process of formulating ICAs.
We support both the stock servo and the Thunderbolt/FM150 combination with our RV14 firewall forward hose kits.

It has been my experience that if you have any questions at all regarding the FM150, Don and the team at Airflow are very knowledgeable about their product line.

FWIW we have seen a large uptick in inquiries regarding the FM150 servo recently as well as a healthy amount of orders over the past two months for firewall forward hose kits with this combination.

Airflow now has the bracketry kits available to make the FM150 fit the RV14/14A.

We have all the dimensions to provide the firewall forward hose kits for the many different combinations that builders are utilizing. (Standard Servo versus FM150, Single PMAG, Dual PMAG, Standard Mags, and Dynon versus Garmin Sensors)

Have a great weekend and happy building,
Steve

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Ok, I found the mounting issue. Do NOT mount the mixture control bracket facing backwards as in the picture in the instructions, mount it facing forward like the throttle cable bracket and that gets you about an extra inch forward. The rod end into the extension tube now has a full 18 turns and the control cable has 15 turns into the back on the extension.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/