- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023 View Post
Chris, are the throttle and mixture cables supplied in Vans FWF kit workable or are new ones in order?
The bracket kit from Airflow Performance has alum extensions that allow you to use the stock kit cables. the AFP kit really is complete and solves every issue when using the kit components to the FM-150.

MED, I would bet there are a few coming close to flying if not already, just not by people that post here unfortunately. Mine is probably 3 months from flying (I hope)

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
Well, I am confident with the help of Airflow Performance and Aircraft Specialty the issues will eventually be worked through. Nevertheless, with over 50 RV-14s flying, using the throttle body recommended by Lycoming and Van's, plus spending North of $38K for the engine throttle body combination, I am surprised everything is not already sorted. Oh, and it is costing me >$500 extra and a few weeks delay.
Everyone,

There are two configuration issues that exist when utilizing the FM150 fuel servo from a fuel hose standpoint.

The first is that the FF00015 will not fit this configuration. The hose required has a 45 and 90 degree fitting with a specific orientation. We offer that hose at $124.95 including shipping.

The second is that the hose being supplied with the Thunderbolt engines from the flow divider to the FM150 is too long. We have the correct dimensions for that hose also. It can be purchased for $89.95.

The combination of the hoses is $204.95 for the two hoses including shipping.

We have been in contact with Thunderbolt and they confirmed that they just recently discovered that the hose length that they are supplying for the FM150 is too long. For now, they are planning on referring customers to us since we have all the lengths worked out. I sent them an email on Friday regarding the possibility of supplying them directly with the correct length hose so that customers can receive their engine all set to go. This is still very preliminary, so I am not sure how that will all pan out.

For those that choose to utilize our Firewall Forward hose packages in lieu of the stock hoses.......They are custom built with a lead time of 3-4 days to shipment. This allows us to build each hose package to the correct custom lengths to fit whichever combination of components builders choose to utilize on their aircraft.

We currently support the following on the RV-14/14A

1. The stock factory configuration
2. The Silverhawk (stock) and FM150 Fuel servos
3. Standard, Single, and Dual PMAG setups
4. Both Garmin and Dynon avionics packages as it relates to the manifold pressure hose sensor.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact us.

As always, thank you to all the builders who helped us with fit verifications to make sure we can support all these different component combinations.

Have a great weekend and Happy Building
Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com

Last edited by Aircraft Specialty : 04-28-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Extra note
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 AM

[quote=Nova RV;1256191]The bracket kit from Airflow Performance has alum extensions that allow you to use the stock kit cables. the AFP kit really is complete and solves every issue when using the kit components to the FM-15

Thanks Chris I have the kit on the way so am set. I also have the correct hose coming from Steve as the one supplied from Lycoming is quit a bit long. No real biggie...I got chrome rocker box covers and was not expecting them so Iíll call it even. Thanks Jeff!
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish slow builds completed. Avionics and engine installed.
Down to last 90%.
2017 Donation
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 AM

I installed the kit from AFP this morning and all went well and fits correctly. Easily done in a couple of hours.

Sharp eyes will see I only have temporary nuts holding on the FM-150. I will install the locknuts after I confirm all looks good with my tech counselor.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
Old 05-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova RV View Post
I will install the locknuts after I confirm all looks good with my tech counselor.
...and put some 970's on those carefully gooped rod ends
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 PM

The spacer between the sump and the servo, in the picture, appears to be balsa sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum (Mallite)? If this is true, I would think the lack of compressive strength would be an issue.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 PM

What is the purpose of the spacer?

If it is required, than it appears that the hex rod for the mixture is too short. It looks like the rod end only has 2-3 threads engaging in the hex rod.

And I agree with Dan... put some safety washers on the rod end bolts.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 05-03-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
...and put some 970's on those carefully gooped rod ends
The kit has the larger 970 flat washers prior to the end nuts and they are slightly larger than the center of the ball end so they should safely capture in the event the ball fails. I think I have some even larger 970s somewhere that I can put on as an alternative.

The threaded end on the extension is quite long and while I did not count actual turns (maybe I will go back and do so) there are probably 10-12 threads inside the extension tube. If I have one criticism it would be that the extension tube could be a little longer to have less of the threaded end sticking out of the tube.

As far as the spacer, it is a phenolic piece and is needed to keep the mechanism from hitting the sump prior to full forward movement. The FM-150 needs some clearance behind it when it is mounted in this orientation and the sump shape does not allow proper operation without interference.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
Old 05-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Did the spacer come from AFP? I had not thought about rotating the servo, looks like the best way to hook up the cables. I have a ECI sump that is a little different but running cables the same way should work.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
Did the spacer come from AFP? I had not thought about rotating the servo, looks like the best way to hook up the cables. I have a ECI sump that is a little different but running cables the same way should work.
The phenolic spacer is from AFP, Don can also machine you one from aluminum.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid