VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 PM

I use and like them on my farm machinery and am using them in my (non-RV) build.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Default Deutsch Connectors

You might also take a look at Deutsch 369 connectors. Smaller size IP67 rated and they use size 22 solid contacts plastic polarized color coded locking shells. You can easily get them from Digikey. Available in 3,6,9 positions. Great for avionics because of the small light weight size.
Mark C. RV9A
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 AM

The DTM’s can use a machined crimp pin also, in 20 ga size. These are the same pins used in typical mil cannon plugs. I used the silver plated ones for power applications and gold for signal applications.

Weather tight, light weight and easy to assemble.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 12-13-2017, 05:05 AM

Default perfect

I used the DTM connectors for my build with the gold plated pins. They have been perfect. I used the plastic bases and ground off the lock tab for easy removal.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-13-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM

I make diagrams of my Deutsch pin position assignments and put them in a binder. I use these as a shop standard and pin the DTMs on each aicraft the same way for the same components. This allows modular interchangeability of components. I can remove a LED strobe from the wingtip of the Husky and mount it in the wingtip of the RV or C140 merely plugging into the mating airframe DTM and everything works the same. Same goes for JPI/EI engine sensors, Portable GPS unit power & data cables, fuel pumps (DT size), wig wag controllers, panel overlays, compass lighting, GDL 39's etc. No more loosey goosie white Molex connectors or wristlocks inside plastic tubing with a zip tie for me. I try to limit my use to applications where there is a connection needed and don't add them where an interconnect isn't needed, no matter how tempting (like the complete avionics bus bar and breakers). Just because they are great connectors doesn't mean they should be inserted as an potential point of failure. It's a personal preference.

Steve. If by plastic bases you mean the optional Deutsch surface mount plastic tabs that hold an assembled connector in place with a screw or bolt, that is a great idea. I have always been leery of snapping the connecor in place all the way on these low-profile plastic mounting brackets since it almost seems impossible to release later. So your modification is both an "aha" and "duh" for me. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, the DT and DTM can be used with high-quality solid contacts and crimped with standard density DSUB crimpers. I elect to leave my expensive Daniels crimpers and positioners to avionic connectors and use cheaper standard pin crimpers for the Deutsch contacts.

Jim
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Question

Are there any circular style connectors that use Dsub pins and sockets?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I make diagrams of my Deutsch pin position assignments and put them in a binder. I use these as a shop standard and pin the DTMs on each aicraft the same way for the same components. This allows modular interchangeability of components. I can remove a LED strobe from the wingtip of the Husky and mount it in the wingtip of the RV or C140 merely plugging into the mating airframe DTM and everything works the same. Same goes for JPI/EI engine sensors, Portable GPS unit power & data cables, fuel pumps (DT size), wig wag controllers, panel overlays, compass lighting, GDL 39's etc. No more loosey goosie white Molex connectors or wristlocks inside plastic tubing with a zip tie for me. I try to limit my use to applications where there is a connection needed and don't add them where an interconnect isn't needed, no matter how tempting (like the complete avionics bus bar and breakers). Just because they are great connectors doesn't mean they should be inserted as an potential point of failure. It's a personal preference.

Steve. If by plastic bases you mean the optional Deutsch surface mount plastic tabs that hold an assembled connector in place with a screw or bolt, that is a great idea. I have always been leery of snapping the connecor in place all the way on these low-profile plastic mounting brackets since it almost seems impossible to release later. So your modification is both an "aha" and "duh" for me. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, the DT and DTM can be used with high-quality solid contacts and crimped with standard density DSUB crimpers. I elect to leave my expensive Daniels crimpers and positioners to avionic connectors and use cheaper standard pin crimpers for the Deutsch contacts.

Jim
yes, grind the tab off the plastic base to allow for easy removal.

these crimpers work for me and DTM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 04-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Hi Steve and others,

Is this still the tool to get for crimping the DTM connectors? I only had the Steinair red crimp tool, and unfortunately these pins don't fit with the regular positioner. I also have some 18AWG wires to crimp, so I'm hoping that Amazon tool is good for wires of this size and doesn't over crimp them as it's only listed as being good to 20AWG. Also, how is this amazon tool adjusted for the larger pins (do you have to drill out the positioner)?

Cheers,

Tom.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
Hi Steve and others,

Is this still the tool to get for crimping the DTM connectors? I only had the Steinair red crimp tool, and unfortunately these pins don't fit with the regular positioner. I also have some 18AWG wires to crimp, so I'm hoping that Amazon tool is good for wires of this size and doesn't over crimp them as it's only listed as being good to 20AWG. Also, how is this amazon tool adjusted for the larger pins (do you have to drill out the positioner)?

Cheers,

Tom.
Tom, look for HDT-48-00. These are the correct crimpers from what I've read. They are $$$.....even the knock-offs.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks Randy. I was really hoping to not have to drop big dollars on one as I only have to do a total of five connectors for my tip lights and trim plug. I've been really happy with the Stein red handled beast for D-sub pins, despite it's inexpensive pricing, however the positioner is just too shallow for these longer DTM pins. I'm hoping Steve will chime in with what mods he had to make to the Amazon version, and particularly if it can crimp 18AWG wires. Better still, it would be great if Stein would start selling a DTM plugs and an associated value priced crimper, as it really seems to be the direction we Van's geeks are heading in if you want a sealed, quality connector.

Tom.