- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Default Trim

The trim removes the conitous load from the servo. With the garmin system, for example, the roll servo and pitch servo can be wired with the electric trim to automatically trim off the control pressures to the servos. The rac servos are jackscrew type and are very good at holding a position, reducing the continuous load on the autopilot servo. So in the case of rudder trim and yd, the rudder trim would be used exactly the same, to reduce the load on the yd servo.

That being said, will the yd work as rudder trim, probably but there is a reason that the engineers recommend trim as well...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 PM

Turner - call Stein for the bow. They typically have the garmin bow kit in stock.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:06 AM

Just so we are on the same page here, are we talking about a yaw damper or rudder trim or both ?

If they are saying that the 10 and 14 are benefiting from a yaw damper, that casts clouds over the fundamental design process - surely ?

If we are saying it is rudder trim, I can see that is perfectly logical as anything with 200hp upwards generally benefits from rudder trim.

Donated twice in 2017
Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Default Both

Both are being discussed. Some are using both, others are using just the yaw damper to do double duty while noting that the engineers donít recommend it...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but I really don't think that the -10 needs any sort of rudder trim/yaw damper.

I have a very small wedge on the rudder which keeps me trimmed in the cruise and the offset thrust line pretty much takes care of the climb and descent - very little input needed.

By all means put whatever you want in your aircraft but I can't help thinking that the time, effort and money might be better spent elsewhere......
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2017 Donation Made
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raabs View Post
Turner - call Stein for the bow. They typically have the garmin bow kit in stock.
Thanks - this is what I needed to know!!
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but I really don't think that the -10 needs any sort of rudder trim/yaw damper.

I have a very small wedge on the rudder which keeps me trimmed in the cruise and the offset thrust line pretty much takes care of the climb and descent - very little input needed.

By all means put whatever you want in your aircraft but I can't help thinking that the time, effort and money might be better spent elsewhere......
Understood - I asked one expert for advice and it was recommended. Still thinking about it. I'm building a -14A, wondering if it has more or less need for yaw damper.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Yd

I think that, with these airplanes, it comes down to more of a want than a need...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I think that, with these airplanes, it comes down to more of a want than a need...
True. I have 2 years, ~140 hours flying my RV-10. I have nothing but a small wedge taped to the rudder. The rudder forces needed for climb don't strike me as a lot different than a C-172. Barely touch pedal in descent to keep ball centered. Adding rudder trim would be a waste of time and money IMHO.
It did require some effort during Phase I getting the wedge sized right...started with longer wedge, kept snipping some off until it was right for cruise.
BTW, Dynon now sells the bow for $150 to go with the Vans kit.
Seriously thinking about the yaw kit for passenger comfort, for those that are sensitive to air sickness.
KCHD
RV-10 40866
Old 03-28-2018, 03:18 AM

Like Paul 330 I think a simple fix that takes care of most rudder yaw trim issues is the little wedge. Just as a matter of interest, I was at Oshkosh last year and noticed the yellow Vans RV10 demonstrator had a small rudder trim.............. but on the starboard side, don’t remember ever seeing one on that side before.