- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I admit, i'm not convinced about the necessity of a parachute. It still seems to me that most of the situations where the chute was used still boil down to "you shouldn't have been in that situation anyway" before the chute was pulled, and the times people have died without using it all get pointed at by people asking "why didn't they use the chute?" Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
When it comes time to pull the chute, I don't think it matters whether or not you "should have been" in that situation. You can worry about that on the ground, alive. I can just about guarantee that all of us (even - or especially - those who profess superior piloting and decision making skills) have been in situations where, had things gone bad, people could say "he/she shouldn't have been in that situation". Fly long enough, and outside the pattern, and things happen, even to the best of us. Usually we luck out, but not always.

We can either recognize that we are fallible beings, and prepare for our own screw ups, or keep telling ourselves that we are the one pilot in the world who never makes a bad call.

Of course, we could always go the opposite route. An economist once suggested the best way to make cars safer would be to remove all protective devices and then put a big metal spike sticking out of the steering wheel. Imagine how safe we would all drive then! Maybe we can rig a self-destruct device that activates as soon as it detects low fuel, VFR into IMC, etc!

Chris
Old 08-29-2017, 05:06 PM

My uncle and his passenger are two of the saves included in the Cirrus statistics referenced above. In his case, he was in IMC, in the mountains, and encountered a wind sheer. Parachute activated and lowered the airplane into the treetops. They were both injured but only after trying to extricate themselves from the treetops where the airplane came to rest. I am certain they are still alive because of the parachute.

Incidentally, his aircraft was bought out by the insurance company. But it was salvaged and lived to fly another day. Just another point of view... your aircraft may be saved in addition to your life.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM

Default Updates on the BRS for the RV-10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoprat View Post
For those interested in installing a BRS chute in their RV10, I have some good news. Several builders, including myself, have signed purchase agreements which has gotten the design and engineering phase started. Should see the first kits by the first of the year or before. I'll send updates as the process progresses.

Bruce McGlamery
Winter Springs, FL
Any updates on the engineering progress? Will this require an aftermarket fuselage top to hide the cables?

Tim
Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 AM

Default BRS Update

Tim, Here is the current update. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the install manual. That will answer all your questions.
bmcglamery@embarqmail.com

The delay occur because we had a few problems with the prototype aircraft (but we already solve it), and the schedule of the BRS engineer (due to his work schedule, he couldnít get here sooner).
But Iím happy to inform that the date for the Ground Extraction Test is defined and it will happen during the first week of April (3 to 5).

We received the GET kit and we are on the final preparation for do the test, and deliver the Parachute for the RV10.
Iím sending to you the Preliminary PIM Ė Parachute Installation Manual. The final version will be far more complete, with a lot more photos and step-by-step detailed to ensure easy installation.

I will keep you informed during the execution of the GET (you can follow the live info that we will start to film on our Instagram profile: @brsparaquedas)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Default BRS for RV10

Where do I sign up?
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Cost$$$

The cost of maintaining the Cirrus BRS system is substantial. It's not something you install once and have at the ready for the lifetime of the airframe.

Eddy
http://www.hattonflyingcircus.com
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Cost $$$

The latest (June) issue of kit planes has a article on installation in a 9a the price is not mentioned. The cost of repack on the chute every 6 years and the cost of rocket every 12 years is $1000 each. Not bad compared to the every 5 year AD on my Bonanza Harrtzell prop. Not sure this link will be available to everyone.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/35_6...A_22106-1.html

Just do not tell my wife I have already gone over budget on this project.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:34 PM

Default I just have a feeling

... this is not going to be drop-in compatible with the custom overhead console I put in

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug