VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Interior painting

As I work my way into the fuselage kit, I realize that I am now working with parts that will be pilot-facing in the completed airplane. I suppose I could rhino-line the interior of the plane, but that would probably weigh too much and collect dirt. What have others done that they're happy with for the floor, baggage floor, sidewalls, etc.?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM

I'm using "rattle can" paint and working as I go - for floors and baggage /sidewall areas using a textured paint, and metallic paint for other areas and for trim.

Not as nice as what folks have done with HLVP guns etc but I'm satisfied with results.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2018, 03:43 PM

I'm using Stewart Systems EkoPrime in Smoke Gray to prime all interior surfaces of the plane. But for the actual things that you'll see when you're sitting in it, I am thinking about other options either for better scratch resistance or better looks, or both. Or I could keep using the same stuff throughout. It does look good and is supposedly pretty tough.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Jet flex

I painted parts before assembly so rivets would contrast.
Everything is Sherwin Williams JetFlex Solvent Based. Gray and Black.
There's photos on my blog.
Panel will probably be powder coated.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Default Jetflex

+1 on the Jetflex. Easy to apply with the HF sprayer. Only problem I had was the colors on the chart donít look much like what you get out of the nozzle. I had to strip and scrape out the first try on the interior but now happy with blue-black.
Greg Beckner working on FF
N557GB
Old 05-03-2018, 09:21 PM

JetFlex WR (water reducible) is very nice, too. I comes out of the can like peanut butter in a OSH winter, but actually applies well and is very tough. Nice stuff. I'm shooting mine on top of SS "smoke grey" primer. Sticks really well. Buy a gallon in the color you want. I've found that the color matching at the quart level leaves a bit to be desired, and you'll need more than a quart.... (my only gripe, and not the fault of the product)

BTW, I did my panel in the same stuff, followed by dry transfer lettering, and then a water based Varathane clear coat from the aviation isle at Ace. I'm very happy with the results.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Engine hung!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made

Last edited by wjb : 05-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 AM

I screwed up my trim tab bottom skin after priming it with EkoPrime. It sat in the corner for a couple months. Last night, I put it on top of some plywood on the floor, painted side up, and ground my foot into it as hard as I could for a few seconds. All I got was dust off my shoe, which brushed right off and left the smoke gray primer intact. I am officially impressed with this product.

Thanks for the tips on Jetflex WR. I'll have to call the nearest Sherwin Williams dealer and ask about it. I assume they can get it, it's just a question of stocking it. My major beef with Sherwin Williams, after building a house, is that they have too many different colors to choose from. That will probably turn into a problem earlier than anticipated with my plane. (Compare that with the Kitfox builder I know who is several years into the 'once I pick a color, I can fly it' phase.)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Stewart report

EKO prime is easy to work with and the urethane finish coats are relatively abrasion resistant. The only negative is the EKOprime etch must be well rinsed and can be challenging in the shop as opposed to outdoors with a hose.
Also, EKOprime will not tolerate auto fuel. It lifts under the urethane and blisters everything.
Clinton, IN

Last edited by Larry DeCamp : 05-04-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Jet flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I screwed up my trim tab bottom skin after priming it with EkoPrime. It sat in the corner for a couple months. Last night, I put it on top of some plywood on the floor, painted side up, and ground my foot into it as hard as I could for a few seconds. All I got was dust off my shoe, which brushed right off and left the smoke gray primer intact. I am officially impressed with this product.

Thanks for the tips on Jetflex WR. I'll have to call the nearest Sherwin Williams dealer and ask about it. I assume they can get it, it's just a question of stocking it. My major beef with Sherwin Williams, after building a house, is that they have too many different colors to choose from. That will probably turn into a problem earlier than anticipated with my plane. (Compare that with the Kitfox builder I know who is several years into the 'once I pick a color, I can fly it' phase.)
I've never had any luck getting SW Aerospace coatings from the local dealer.
I order from one of the Aerospace dealers.
Make sure you test on scrap to be certain the two products play nice. Ask on VAF about prepping the primer. Most likely it needs a scuff with 400 before paint.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:04 AM

I used Zolatone and love it, came out nice. The only mistake I made was the color of the primer, I used a chromate yellow color, and it took more paint to cover as it was gray, but all in all very happy.