What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Alignment RV-6A

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
I have searched posts on this site and cannot really determine if a 6A axle can be shimmed. I have a significant toe out on the right wheel causing wear on the inside of the right tire. Going bald on the inside of R tire after 65 hrs. I have flopped tires and switched inside out, but would like to hear if the axle can be shimmed. It appears to have a axle socket and bolt that locks the axle in place within the socket. I did not build and appreciate your help.

Moderator: Please feel free to move to 6A Forum if you feel more appropriate there.

Last edited:
6A gear adjustment

I have a slight case of the same problem. Going with Desser recaps and top tubes helps.

To solve the problem, I've considered marking, clamping the gear leg firmly, then re-drilling up one or two sizes and putting in larger bolts after determining the correct angle.

The other option would be hard but possible: shimming the gear mount.

No, the gear leg & wheel axle are one steel rod...

...that gets machined, formed, and bent at the time of manufacture. It is up to the builder to align this gear leg to the airframe as the airframe is being constructed.

There is a procedure in the construction manual that describes the initial alignment. I suggest that you perform these steps (aircraft weight off the gear) and see if one, or both, wheels are out of alignment and by how much.

You will end up ordering a new, un-drilled gear leg. Then, following the alignment procedure, locate, mark, and drill a hole in the new gear leg(s?). That should do it for the wheel alignment.

Next, it you have wheel pants installed, and if they are properly aligned to the airstream with the wheel out of alignment, then you may end up re-aligning the wheel pants to the newly established wheel alignment setting.

Too late...

Gear alignment procedure takes place with the plane upside down and has plumb bobs,straight edges,strings, etc.

To modify the procedure with a completed plane upright and a new leg would require solid jack stands and probably a laser device to get alignments correct. Drilling a new leg would be tough also! That's tough steel!

Drilling a new leg would be tough also! That's tough steel!

Actually drilling the gear leg isn't all that tough. In the "old days", we had to drill all of them. It was part of the build.
If you have a good drill bit, lots of lubricant, a slow turning drill motor and use lots of force, it's not that bad.

You can shim the front of the gear weldment to get some toe-in.
Remember guys, this is an A model.

Not Toe Out after measurements

Put the plane on bearing slider plates and let the gear slide to its natural resting place. I actually have a slight bit of toe in (both wheels) with positive camber.
Also did the measurements after pulling the plane across asphalt to invite any splaying that might occur.

Why is the inside of the Starboard tire wearing so rapidly????
After 60 hours there is little tread left on the inside of the aeroclassic.
Port tire looks almost new.

Anyone with an A experiencing similar????
Thought for sure I was toe out. Strange!

Some thoughts,

Put the plane on bearing slider plates and let the gear slide to its natural resting place. I actually have a slight bit of toe in (both wheels) with positive camber.
Also did the measurements after pulling the plane across asphalt to invite any splaying that might occur.

Why is the inside of the Starboard tire wearing so rapidly????
After 60 hours there is little tread left on the inside of the aeroclassic.
Port tire looks almost new.

Anyone with an A experiencing similar????
Thought for sure I was toe out. Strange!

Could be that your brake is hanging up a little or the bearings are not very free moving on the Starboard wheel. Every time you land a bit (lot) more rubber is left on the RW with this tire?

Another possibility is that the gear leg has been bent in a harder than usual landing and is splayed out enough that most of the pressure on the tread is on the inside. I have seen this problem and it was not visible until the leg was removed for examination.

I was on the same thought process as you.
I removed the wheels today and they moved freely. Removed the brake pads and they showed equal wear.

In the second scenario, wouldn't that show up as a toe out in the measurements? I have a slight toe in and positive camber. I might be missing something though. I don't have the build knowledge so I am grasping at straws a bit.....

Last edited:
Back