What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Brakes

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am trying to wrap my head around how this system works/if it will work.

I am installing dual breaks; I intend on using one grove brake reservoir on each master cylinder on the co-pilots side, then the rest of the system to the plans. I like the idea of the separate reservoirs to simplify the system and eliminate one firewall penetration. What I can not figure out is if the brake lines are routed from the copilots side to the pilots side go higher than the reservoirs, wont gravity force the fluid back out the top? The only thing I can think of is that the ?breather valve? on the top is porous enough for air, but not for the break fluid? Can someone help me out with this? Maybe I am displaying my stupidity here, or maybe my intended design will not work. Thanks for the help.

Hi Jeremy, I would recommend going the single reservoir route only because it is a real PITA to go under the panel with a light each time you want to check the fluid or bleed the brakes. It can be messy as well. Just food for thought. Larry

Jeremy,

I was going to switch to individual reservoirs when I added the brakes on the passenger side. When I did the install, it was so easy to just hook to the existing reservoir, I just did it like the plans. I haven't done a pressure test, but it all went together pretty easy.

Reservoir looks too cheep for me

I think you guys are probably right.....what I can get over is how cheep the vans supplied reservoir looks. IMHO, it doesn't look like it belongs on an airplane.....does anyone have any suggestions of a firewall mounted alternate reservoir?

Thanks all

I remember someone posting links to some pretty nice reservoirs - some polished and some anodized. They looked pretty nice, but were pretty expensive. Maybe just paint the stock one?

I will see if I can find the links.

Jeremy you can go with more expensive one :)

reservoir.jpg

i have that one

Vlad I have that one from Blue sky aviation and I love it. Check the fluid via oil door. It is really easy and works great.

Vlad I have that one from Blue sky aviation and I love it. Check the fluid via oil door. It is really easy and works great.

Hey Carl I am wondering if I can retrofit similar ones on master cylinders instead of metal. Long time ago I emailed Noel asking about this possibility but never heard back. Do you have a closer picture of the top and bottom? How thick is the polymer?

6a60fe58.jpg

Thanks!

Colin, I love the look of the one you used. I remember another post where you mentioned a source, so I will use the old search function and try to figure that out.

VLAD,
Love the practicality for your set up and being able to see the fluid level with minimal effort. Do you remember your source for that reservoir?

Thanks guys!

.....what I can get over is how cheep the vans supplied reservoir looks. IMHO, it doesn't look like it belongs on an airplane.....
Just think about how many RV's are flying with the "stock" reservoir without any issues.

Have you seen a piper reservoir?

IMG_3931-20100510-180349.jpg

No kidding.

Just think about how many RV's are flying with the "stock" reservoir without any issues.

If it ain't broke don't fix it right? Unless you're going to drag race your RV on the taxiway I don't see the point of upgrading the brakes... Heck, When I got my tailwheel endorsement in a legend cub, I never once touched the brakes, not once! And that's all concrete runway and asphalt taxiway.

Point taken

Holly cow! I think my views get slightly screwed from looking at the planes everyday at work.....I'm not building a $4.5mil aircraft.

The one in my truck is plastic. I think I will get some of that fake carbon fiber vinyl and stick it on. Then I will be cool!

Jeremy, isn't is so easy to get carried away on some things? I have been trying to figure out "the perfect panel" for a couple months here. Then I read the forums and I see quite a few instruments for sale because people are changing their panel. I figure even if I get the perfect panel, in 2 years I will be changing it anyway!

So true

The one in my truck is plastic. I think I will get some of that fake carbon fiber vinyl and stick it on. Then I will be cool!

Jeremy, isn't is so easy to get carried away on some things? I have been trying to figure out "the perfect panel" for a couple months here. Then I read the forums and I see quite a few instruments for sale because people are changing their panel. I figure even if I get the perfect panel, in 2 years I will be changing it anyway!

I was ordering my brake lines from TS flight lines today (way impressed with him so far) and I wrote this:
"Tom, I am going to cave in and just use the vans supplied reservoir....I could mess around with small details like a break reservoir or I can just build the thing and get it in the air."

I guess vans know what they are doing hu:D

I was ordering my brake lines from TS flight lines today (way impressed with him so far) and I wrote this:
"Tom, I am going to cave in and just use the vans supplied reservoir....I could mess around with small details like a break reservoir or I can just build the thing and get it in the air."

I guess vans know what they are doing hu:D

You have a better chance of getting the plane done in this lifetime by just sticking to the plans. The reason I changed my brake reservoir was that I converted my brake system to DOT4 fluid compatable. The Vans reservoir won't work with DOT fluid. Otherwise, the Vans unit is very nice.

Vlad

I'll let Noel know about your post and he can give you a better description. I know Kodiak aircraft use these on their big dollar aircraft. Being able to see the fluid level before every flight is worth the minimal additional cost.

Jeremy---alot of RV's are using the 'stock' reservoir. I havent heard of anyone having issues. Very simple, functional, and easier to get to than dual reservoirs on the pedals, But ---to each his own. Take the stock one and powder coat it a different color! I am like you though, different is cool, and personalizes your plane. But---what ever way you decide, think of the big picture.
Tom

Back