What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Lift Handle different design

FresnoR

Well Known Member
Has anyone came up with a different or more fun design for the Tip Up Canopy Lift Handle? The one in the plans just seems a little boring.

DSC08638-150x150.jpg

Boring but;

Simple,
Cheep,
Light weight,
Effective,

I looked for a lot of different ways to do it but always came back for the above reasons :D

I gave up putting them on the passengers side, too many mistakes by those who didn't understand the proper way to open and close. Better damage control.

I gave up putting them on the passengers side, too many mistakes by those who didn't understand the proper way to open and close. Better damage control.

Too funny. I didn't install a handle on the "passenger" side either. I haven't entered or flown from the left side in five years. I kick myself for having to walk around to the other side to open the canopy at least once per week.

Last edited:
Too funny.

Yeah, know what you mean. I had them installed on both sides before noticing the instructions said pilot side only. I did hardcoat anodize them instead of paint since I figured they were a hard usage item.

Too funny. I didn't install a handle on the "passenger" side either. I haven't entered or flown from the left side in five years. I kick myself for having to walk around to the other side to open the canopy at least once per week.

Exactly my reason for having them on both sides. I open the canopy about 40% of the time from the passenger side to check this or that inside, load gear etc.

Greg

Couldn't agree more Rick! I often look at mine and wish I had gone ahead and put a little more imagination into my effort. Could have been made to at least look a little more fun anyway. Now that it's painted.....

Last edited:
Rick,

I used an RV8 canopy handle. Don't have the part #.

Drilled and tapped 2 holes and put #4 screws in it.

Looked great and I would put on both sides.

Just because.:D

Tip up Handle

I did not put any handle on at all. I place my palm against the canopy and have been easily able to lift it with the friction between my palm and the canopy for the past 7 years. I would probably hurt myself if I had a handle to hit on the way up. :)

Reccesed Handle

Sorry for the quality of the photo. Picture taken with limited light and my DUMB phone.
photo0103f.jpg

Back