What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 vs. GNS430

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I came from certified airplane world, and in that planet 430, W or not, is the king (maybe not king, but sure is very very popular).
However, on VAF and other experimental forums, it seems that popularity of SL30 is the same, or more than 430's.
With the introduction of 650, a used 430W is about $4.5K and a used non-W 430 is about $3.3K. A used SL30 still sells for around $3K without GPS and map. For a few hundreds, it seems that 430 (W or not) offers a lot more functions.
What am I missing?

I don't think you are missing anything. I have an SL-30 and I will tell you that hands-down it is the best NAV/COM on the market. However the 430 still seems to be king and the desired unit.

Where are you seeing used 430w/s for 4.5k? If someone has one for sale for that price please contact me via PM or e=mail!

Ditto Jamie.

The other reason is to avoid the yearly garmin tax for database updates. The SL30 doesn't have a database.

It depends on the kind of flying you intend to do. If you are a VFR only local area guy the SL30 will do just fine. If you intend to fly IFR go for the 430.

It depends on the kind of flying you intend to do. If you are a VFR only local area guy the SL30 will do just fine. If you intend to fly IFR go for the 430.

A major advantage of the sl30 is the ability to monitor a second frequency, both comm and nav.

This gives you the functionality of dual nav/comms and an audio panel for much less money and panel space.

Flying IFR with a single 430 requires some juggling to listen to ATIS, etc.

You can even identify crossing radials with the dual monitor function on the nav side, a very neat trick.

I regularly fly two aircraft equipped with G430s and the SL30. There are many factors involved of course (antennae, etc.) but both the comm and VOR function seem to work better on the SL30. Not enough to make a functional difference, but I'd rather use to SL30 for a comm, or to navigate via VOR, then the 430 FWIW

I routinely fly IFR in multiple airplanes. Haven't used a VOR in years. The cross radial function is neat but in the real world GPS is neater. I do like the monitor feature of the SL30 for ATIS etc. but if I had to choose one or the other I'd go for the 430. (I've got both in my 8)

I was JUST speaking to Garmin about this. I am going with a G3X system (2 screen) and the SL30. They tell me this is all you really need, even for IFR. I did not know about the "no update" stuff. Now I'm really sold!!!!

The 430 gives you a moving map, terrain (W version?), obstacles and GPS approaches that the SL30 does not. You don't get GPS approaches with a 396, 496, etc.

What do you need?

400W + SL40

My RV-6 will soon have a 400W along with the existing SL40. For redundancy I have a handheld COM and a GPSMAP 496 - both battery powered.

No VOR, ILS, or LOC. Yes, a freak solar storm could cause problems, a star wars attack from China could take out our GPS system, and Light-Squared or our own DOD could run some test that spooks the satellites as well.

But if GPS is good enough for Nextgen it'll do for the rare times I really need to depart IFR or return to KDVO (1000 AGL GPS MDA) or nearby O69 (300 AGL LPV!). I don't want or need the extra antennas, wiring, and complexity. Every airport I want to fly to or from has an RNAV approach now.

Neil

I beg you to do more research on the subject. Technically yes but there is more to it than that.

I was JUST speaking to Garmin about this. I am going with a G3X system (2 screen) and the SL30. They tell me this is all you really need, even for IFR. I did not know about the "no update" stuff. Now I'm really sold!!!!

As said above - this is technically true, but by the time you finish the airplane, there will be many, many airports where you won't be able to shoot an approach - GPS is gaining and VHF Nav is losing every day. Louise's RV-6 has no IFR GPS, and it is pretty hard to plan IFR trips with it already.

If you're really planning on an IFR RV, the extra cost delta for an IFR GPS is going to be in the noise by the time you're done.

Paul

430w 430 prices

I've been looking for a 430w and I must tell you that if you can find one that cheap please buy it or let me know where I can!!!!!

I would think the 430w would suit your needs.

take care and have a great day...

Not sure where the OP got his used prices.....good luck finding either version for those prices. Of course there are exceptions out there, be careful of scams!

A while back here on VAF a used batch of 430ws pulled for upgrade went for $5000/each but the best I can get now is $6K.

A nice feature of the SL30 is its ability to talk to other devices like EFISes for frequency changes. The 430 doesn't do this, or if it does, it's a proprietary protocol that Garmin hasn't seen fit to share with anyone. For me, the TSO'd GPS and nav/comm in a single box outweighed that disadvantage.

I beg you to do more research on the subject. Technically yes but there is more to it than that.

Thanks Brantel I did, see below...

As said above - this is technically true, but by the time you finish the airplane, there will be many, many airports where you won't be able to shoot an approach - GPS is gaining and VHF Nav is losing every day. Louise's RV-6 has no IFR GPS, and it is pretty hard to plan IFR trips with it already.

If you're really planning on an IFR RV, the extra cost delta for an IFR GPS is going to be in the noise by the time you're done.

Paul

Thanks Paul also. Although Garmin was correct, when I get to the instruments in a year-ish I expect the 430W to be in the $7500 or less range. Found em for $8100 new. So since I am putting 25K in the panel another 4500 shouldn't break me. I did not think of the VHF disappearing. Oh and Paul, sell one of your 12 airplanes and put a real nav source in your sweet wife's airplane!! ;)

Back