What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subpanel on a 6 tip-up structural?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all, about to cut the subpanel almost in the middle of the subpanel and wanted to know if it?s structural? There is a bracket that hold the 2 subpanel as together.

Thanks,
D

If you're referring to the panel that is riveted to the top skin, and has longitudinal ribs riveted to it that extend forward to the firewall, yes, it is structural.

Hi all, about to cut the subpanel almost in the middle of the subpanel and wanted to know if it?s structural? There is a bracket that hold the 2 subpanel as together.

Thanks,
D

It depends on how and where you are going to cut it. Sketch up the cuts and send them to Van's for their OK.

Properly reinforced, you can cut good sized chunk out of the center.

I am cutting right where the brace is for the canopy jettison mechanism. I don?t have the mechanism anymore but th brace worries me.

As @gasman suggested... Make a sketch showing where you want to cut (maybe photocopy the plans and mark up the page showing the piece), and send it to Van's and ask their opinion. They will guide you.

Last edited:
On my -6A I found that the sub-panel would lie flat even before parts were cut out of it. The parts just were not very flat as shipped.

A 3/4 by 1/16 angle riveted on top of the lower flange helped to keep things square.

Back