What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5A small/miniature on-off toggle switch?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm putting a on-off toggle switch on my panel for the 5A circuit that runs power to the Dynon autopilot servos. For aesthetic reasons, I'd prefer not to use a full size switch. Does anyone know if and where there might be a small/miniature version of a toggle switch that can handle a 5A load?

Thanks

Be careful of small toggle switches that are rated at 5 amps. Most of these are rated for 5A AC. DC rating is not the same.

as mentioned above - your amperage rating depends on voltage.

There is a local source in Hillsboro, Oregon that has all kinds of gizmos. The place is called "Surplus Gizmos" and I have sourced a few switches and have seen the small toggles switches there. Not sure they have any online or shipping options.

Good advice to exercise care in selection, but no reason to reject all possibilities out of hand. It's fairly easy to find the DC ratings, and, at least with my TruTrak servos, it's simple to power each servo through separate contacts in a double throw switch. Another factor is the true load, and how the switch will be used.

Have a look at this one (one of the 1st I found):
https://www.newark.com/nkk-switches/m2022ss4g03/toggle-switch-dpdt-0-4va-28v-panel/dp/10X7412?st=miniature%20toggle%20switch

6A @120V AC; 4A per set of contacts @ 28V DC. If, like me, you're just using the switch as a failsafe disconnect for servo runaway, I'd say that one like this is worth a look.

Ask the mfgr what the peak and continuous loads are for each servo. I'll bet that the peak is around 5A & continuous is a lot lower.

FWIW,

Charlie

Relay

You could always put the load on the normally closed side of a relay. To disconnect, just close the relay coil with a miniature switch. The draw would be, what, a tenth of an amp?

Ed Holyoke

One miniature switch I found was 5A at 28Vdc, so that gets at the DC part of the issue, but if I'm running a 14Vdc system, the same maximum resistance would only allow me 2.5A. My electrical physics sound right?

One miniature switch I found was 5A at 28Vdc, so that gets at the DC part of the issue, but if I'm running a 14Vdc system, the same maximum resistance would only allow me 2.5A. My electrical physics sound right?

Nope. In this case, the amp rating would likely stay the same for the switch, but it would likely handle a couple more amps when the voltage drops from 28 to 14. The *power* the switch is handling drops by 1/2 when the voltage is halved and the current stays the same. Volts * Amps = Watts (power)

Charlie

I use several of the small form factor toggles in my 6. Most are for sub- 1A loads, but most of these switches in this size that are rated for 4A DC. I get mine at digikey.

Larry

Easy, a good quality miniature toggle one from a reputable manufacturer should do -

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/7101P3YZQE?qs=mfFuHy8STfLSeTEKSl2BXg==

5 amps at 28 volt rating - if it's good for 28 v it will be good for 14 v :)
Thanks Gil. I have a bunch of these exact (7101) switches that came with my intercom system to be used as stereo/mono switches. Being as little as they are I questioned whether they could handle the worst that 2 Dynon servos could send it. Might give one of them a try.

Thanks Gil. I have a bunch of these exact (7101) switches that came with my intercom system to be used as stereo/mono switches. Being as little as they are I questioned whether they could handle the worst that 2 Dynon servos could send it. Might give one of them a try.

If any of them are double pole switches it wouldn't do any harm to wire the two poles in parallel.

If any of them are double pole switches it wouldn't do any harm to wire the two poles in parallel.

Or, see post #4

edit: Should have been more specific; paralleling contacts will not cause them to share the load equally, unless you include 'ballast' leads on both sides of each contact. Running one servo from each pole (with individual circuit protection) splits the load, and provides some measure of isolation, allowing one servo to function even if the other has failed.

Last edited:
Or, see post #4

edit: Should have been more specific; paralleling contacts will not cause them to share the load equally, unless you include 'ballast' leads on both sides of each contact. Running one servo from each pole (with individual circuit protection) splits the load, and provides some measure of isolation, allowing one servo to function even if the other has failed.

My statement still stands...:D

"...it wouldn't do any harm..."

These are existing "left over" switches already on hand..

You could always put the load on the normally closed side of a relay. To disconnect, just close the relay coil with a miniature switch. The draw would be, what, a tenth of an amp?

Ed Holyoke

That is how I am wiring everything in "normal" mode. I will use 87A, the normally closed circuit for things that are normally on. They will only draw current when I switch them off.

I will be running EFI/EI and I will have a small switch panel behind a drop down "door" with all the micro switches. I can check the function of the 2 fuel pumps, ignitions, and VR's. Or switch them if one fails. But the normal position for FP1, both coils, and VR1 will "on", and will be powered off of 87A, the normally closed position on a dual pole relay.

I will check the fuels pumps and coils before each flight, or at least 1st flight of the day.

Back