What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silly Question regarding Aluminum Angle

Surfdoc

In the process of getting ready to fabricate part W-925-C (Flap Bracket Attach Angle) I received about 9 feet of the angle in the kit. Does anyone have an easy way to cut small pieces from such long stock? I know silly question but I figured I would post anyway and see if the Think-tank had come up with an easy way besides throwing in the bandsaw and trying to support the piece.

In the process of getting ready to fabricate part W-925-C (Flap Bracket Attach Angle) I received about 9 feet of the angle in the kit. Does anyone have an easy way to cut small pieces from such long stock? I know silly question but I figured I would post anyway and see if the Think-tank had come up with an easy way besides throwing in the bandsaw and trying to support the piece.

I've used a pneumatic cutoff wheel for such a job, with the angle well supported and clamped.

Chris

Cordless angle grinder

I use an angle grinder with a thin kerf cutoff wheel. HF works fine but now I have a cordless. Pretty sweet. Just cut outside the line and sand to final dimension.

What are these made of? If you have a decent miter saw and blade aluminum cuts just like wood. Here are the 1x1 angles from my training project:

https://imgur.com/a/VqrSBqY

Ignore the scratches, etc. That cut is straight from the saw with no cleanup. Just be sure you have enough stock to absorb the 1/8" kerf of the blade.

I use an angle grinder with a thin kerf cutoff wheel. HF works fine but now I have a cordless. Pretty sweet. Just cut outside the line and sand to final dimension.

I have used (at various times), hacksaw, grinder with cut-off wheel like Larry, and a reciprocating saw for cutting angle. The grinder was the quickest and easiest, and I found gave a clean cut, but be careful. I found also it was best to cut just outside, then I cleaned up on a 6" scotchbrite wheel to the final size.

If it won't fit in my bandsaw, I simply use a hacksaw. It's abut as fast.

In fact, it's just not an issue.

Dave
RV-3B workin' away on the fuselage

Fuselage Longeron stock??

I hope you're not getting ready to cut the long fuselage longerons that ship with the wing kit! :eek:

My thought exactly. Be sure to read and re-read your plans and instructions before cutting that LONG piece of Aluminum angle. :eek:

Back