What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument fans

dreed

Well Known Member
Any arguments pro/con instrumentation fans in top of the glare shield. If pro, any recommendations on the fans?

Advanced is building my panel which will be Dual 5600's, 1 dynon comm, but planning for a Avidyne 540 in the future.

Thanks!
dan

Defrost fans

Pros...Also functions as defrost. Actually I don't know first hand. Mine isn't flying yet.
I bought two fans and grills from Steinair. My hope is that they tested them.
Two 3" holes and screw holes were cut before painting the glareshield. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Larry- that is sort of my thinking too on defrost. I live in the PNW, so they may come in handy;)

Thanks Larry- that is sort of my thinking too on defrost. I live in the PNW, so they may come in handy;)

I couldn't get a fan on the glare shield, as the 6 is shorter (my fan is from below for avionics cooling). The canopy only frosts up on the ground when temps are well below freezing. The moist air that I exhale condenses on the canopy. Opening the canopy for about 5 seconds clears it for a few minutes. Never experienced interior frost while flying all sorts of different temps down to -15.

Larry

I have four fans - two 1.5"x1.5" under the glareshield pointed at opposite sides of my center avionics stack, and two 1x1 fans to pull any hot air from below the shield to above. I doubt any of it is really needed, but my fans were from other projects so easy to do, and I have them on a separate breaker so I can kill them as necessary. Lots of 12v computer fans to be had of all sizes, and even the small ones will move a boat load of air, so dont get caught up on size, just look at CFMs. These are the little ones I used http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...DC_Axial_Fan_25_CFM_2476_dBA_AK-189BK-2B.html

IMHO you can forget any auto type defrosting from whatever air is generated by the avionics, but as noted by someone else, just moving the air around above the shield may give you some benefit.

If you really think you want or need warm defrosting, then you ought to consider plumbing engine heat to the windshield (which will get you internal defrost, but prob not any external) or put in a hot plate if youre really gonna get after it meaningfully.

Last edited:
If a tipper canopy, make sure you locate far enough forward so you don't get interference where the frame and panel meet.

Thanks All-

The vents and plates from Stein look very reasonable and install should be relatively easy at this point (slider). I did add a couple extra switches on the panel so I should be good there too.

Dan

here is what I did

I mounted two 5" computer muffin fans with grills and filters all from amazon.
I originally cut the holes two far forward not sure what I was thinking so then had to add backing plate and move them aft otherwise I think it should work well. I will have to cut holes in whatever I use as a glare shield mat for these two fans and the 3 GPS antennas that sit up there as well as compass. Fans are controlled with a panel mounted switch labeled avionics fans. I have 2 GDU460, GTN650, GTR200, GMA245, GMC307, G5, IBBS back up battery, and VPX pro under panel so I think some airflow is a must.

The fan grills are 3 pcs, the fixed grilled that is bolted thru the skin and holds the fan and then a snap on grill with foam filters that are easily removable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cwGVSC4tWF4tD7VS9

Last edited:
Another vote for the computer fan(s). I pulled some out of some old HP servers but only installed one for circulation / defrost.

fsvUAOnl.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have an ok indication from vans on the fan apertures in the forward cover ?
I?m planning the same and it might placate the authorities here
Cheers
Ian

Yesterday while flying I noticed that the dash pad was bubbling up with the avionics heat, I am thinking about adding fans also.

Yesterday while flying I noticed that the dash pad was bubbling up with the avionics heat, I am thinking about adding fans also.

uh? Youre in Texas. Seems like the sunshine is more likely, no? Avionics that hot are on fire Id think.

I have a 6A slider and installed (4) 2 1/2" computer fans in the glareshield They fit very nicely and spread the air very well across the windshield. More picts on my website.

FP09032019A00033.jpg

Topside

FP09032019A00032.jpg

Bottom side

I notice that most of the computer fans typically have an upper voltage spec of ~13.8V. Alternator output is ~14.2V. Has anybody had an issue with short fan life, popped breaker, etc?

I notice that most of the computer fans typically have an upper voltage spec of ~13.8V. Alternator output is ~14.2V. Has anybody had an issue with short fan life, popped breaker, etc?
Doubtful, my bus runs 14.4 volts, 2 fans, used almost continuously 525 hrs., no issues.

Back