What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

the big three?

jbagley

Well Known Member
My dad, being a sailor, has commented on the big 3 places any sailor in this part of the world wants to go.

1. Panama Canal
2. Golden Gate Bridge
3. Statue of Liberty

I've flown my airplane to Alaska and plan to fly to AirVenture 2013. What else? What are your "Big 3" places or events that you have either wanted to fly to or have flown to.

Two lists

We have already done;

Oshkosh.

Homecoming.

Bad Lands fly in.

Still have yet to do;

Sun and Fun.

L. O. E.

Petti Jean.

1. Chile..a very progressive country and visit Fernando Abasolo.

2. Reno for the air races.

3. Paradise, Ca. to see my Mom.

Best,

Sort of in this category but not exactly, both coasts and both borders, same year.

And except for one of the borders, with the same friends, too.

Dave
P.S. Just now realized that there's an entire third coast that I seem to have missed. Can't imagine how that happened. I'll have to run out there one day.

Last edited:
I noticed this thread was under the Temporary, etc. forum which means it will go away in a short time. I thought it was too valuable to lose so I moved it to this forum. My thinking was that it falls under the description of "Used to motivate others to keep building and to generate travel ideas."

Trusting everyone [well, most everyone :) ] is okay with this.

my big three

1. Oshkosh
2. Johnson Creek, ID
3. Bahamas

I have been going to Oshkosh since 1980. It is still my favorate Fly In.

Johnson Creek the last 9 years in a row. The more I go, the more I like to be there. I go with the www.SuperCub.org group and have a Exp Super Cub,,'Shooter',, but the first couple of times I was in my RV6 flying with Doug Reeves, and 'Flash' ,and Danny and Martha Jane and the Doll. My 'Borrowed Horse' RV8, has flown in to JC too.

It has become more and more of a hassel to go to the Bahamas, (goverment regs) but I used to love to fly over there. I have been to the Islands many many times, they rate at the top of my list of places to go.

I am / have been a sailor. 50,000 blue water miles, 18 years living aboard. Have cruised the eastern seaboard and the eastern Caribbean, and most of the Bahamas. Anchored by Liberty in the Hudson River, not been to the Golden Gate, or rounded the Horne,

Reno is also a favorate but it is in Sept and and I usualy have spent all my traveling $$$ by that time of the year.

Last edited:
Sort of in this category but not exactly, both coasts and both borders, same year.

I have a similar goal, but I'd like to hit both coasts in the same DAY, just to say I did it. Long day for sure, with two pilots and perfect weather needed. I also want to make a Leadville to Death Valley hi/lo run.

As for airports/events:
Telluride
Johnson Creek
I'd also love to fly to Burning Man, but I just can't see it ever actually happening.

Last edited:
Affordable Adventure

If you are willing to accept the risk of a mountain meadow landing in the event of engine failure, start somewhere near Reno and fly south OVER the Sierra to Olancha Peak south of Mt. Whitney, then head east to Death Valley, Badwater, and landing at Furnace Creek.

Highest and lowest spots in US outside of Alaska, and spectacular scenery.

If you are willing to accept the risk of a mountain meadow landing in the event of engine failure, start somewhere near Reno and fly south OVER the Sierra to Olancha Peak south of Mt. Whitney, then head east to Death Valley, Badwater, and landing at Furnace Creek.

Highest and lowest spots in US outside of Alaska, and spectacular scenery.

That's one that I actually have done. Never been to Osh, or any of the other big flyins, nor Johnson Creek and the like, but have been over Alaska (Juneau Icefield) in the RV.

Greg

My 3 goals are . . .

When the RV-9 is finished I want to fly to:

1. Mom's house in New Meadows, Idaho.
2. Down the Kahiltna Glacier, between Denali and Mt Foraker in Alaska.
3. East coast of Canada.

I have some other plans that I am not ready to put into print or say out loud just yet.

I don't know how I could just pick three. Definatley looking forward to remote grass strip camping, osh, and winter getaways in Az

Have done some of the biggies:
Furnace Creek
Las Vegas
Yellowstone
SNF
Key West
Bahamas
East Coast to West Coast

Still to do:
Oshkosh(maybe this year)
Johnson Creek(wife just bought me the FlyIdaho book yesterday for my birthday)
Alaska

Last edited:
Biggies

So far I've done: Kitty Hawk, Okracoke Island, Cape Canaveral, (Shuttle Landing Strip), Oshkosh, Grand Canyon overflight, LOE when it was in Santa Theresa, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Golden Gate, 17,500 ft over Mt. Whitney and Furnace Creek, Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth, The Redneck Riviera (Panama City Beach, FL.), and Sun n Fun.:D Lots of places in between those too!:)

Bucket list is still in progress! Hoping for Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, Nova Scotia, Maine, Mackinac Island, back to Oshkosh, Montana, Wyoming, Jelly Stone, Johnson Creek , Craters of the Moon Idaho, Canyonlands National Park, Alaska.

Any and all donations appreciated!!!!!!!;)

Top List for Bragging Rights
Leadville - highest elevation GA airport in US
Furnace Creek - lowest elevation airport in US
Sedona - the "aircraft carrier" airport
Copalis Beach - Only beach in US legal to land on the sand

Top List for Scenery / Camping
Johnson Creek - well maintained grass strip in Idaho
Ranger Creek - paved strip next to campground at the base of Mt Rainier
Alvord Desert - not really an airport - just a huge playa with awesome night skies!
Burning Man - assault on the senses

Top List for Destination
Kitty Hawk - birthplace of aviation
The Bahamas - Some day with Rosie and company
Oshkosh - Mecca of All Things Aviation (and friends)
Land of Enchantment - Mecca of All Things RV
Reno Air Races - although you can't fly to Reno during the races :(

Top List for Food
Bar X - Land in the Grand Canyon - best B&B and steak dinner!
Miami County Airport, KS - We B Smokin BBQ

There's got to be more to add to the list, but it's a start!

Back