What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Point Cam Grease

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Minor tip...

I was recently asked to look at a rough-running M14 in a Yak. The cause was simple....dirty magneto points. The root cause was a poor choice of point cam lubrication grease.

Which brings us to our subject. The official Slick grease is part# M-1827. I don't know what is specified for a Bendix mag. For sure you can't just use whatever grease you might have handy.

I've been using the same grease on everything with points since the late 1970's......Bosch #5700 002 005. The notable property of Bosch point cam grease is its stickiness....it will not fly off the rotating point cam, even with engines spinning at far more RPM than a Lycoming. Nor does it melt or run.

A little plastic envelope of M-1827 is cheap enough (about a buck from several sources). The Bosch grease will be more; a 45ml tube of Bosch grease will be $7 to $17 depending on where you buy (discount import parts place vs Porsche/MB dealer). It's a lifetime supply for most of us. I just recently purchased my second tube, but I use it for a variety of things other than distributors and mags. For example, it's a good choice for clutch pivots and pilot bearings (temperature resistance), and to hold things in place (like bearings or lifters) while you assemble the parts.

Good stuff.

I have a tube I bought when I had a '67 VW Beetle 30 years ago. I still use it on my Slick mags. I second the motion...

This reply is coming many years down the line from the original thread.

I went searching for the Bosch grease because I wanted a more economical way to have a good supply of cam grease for the slick mags, than buying the tiny blister packs of it. Those are $2.50-$3 per dab of grease.

I couldn't find anywhere to buy the Bosch grease from online, except for a place that wanted over $200 for a tube, probably old stock. I did find a lot of references to it not being available anymore.

So I dug in and searched some more.

I found a website selling the Slick Unison Cam grease, and they had the MSDS posted. That MSDS said that it was Magnalube-G. You can buy a tube of that many places, including Amazon, for about $11 for a tube. I got my tube today and it appears to be the same as what I bought in the blister pack that is labeled for slick mag cams.

I don't have any direct experience with it to know if it's better or worse than the bosch, or any other breaker point cam grease on the market, but it was nice to be able to track down the actual slick product for my own comfort.
I hope this helps anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future like I did.

Joe Logie (Slick tech) told me to use there cam grease "sparingly". He said put it on then wipe it off with a finger, so it looks like none is there, it would be perfect. Other opinions may vary.

Last edited:
Back