What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X EFIS Survival Tips

Transponder control

Hi guys,
My panel has evolved over the years. Started with a single gdu370 when they were first introduced. Now have a second gdu370, gtn650, gx pro, and a gtn327.

I have no plans to replace the g3x classic displays with touch but want to add a gtx23es transponder. The programming interface for the 23es in the gdu370 is clumsey and takes up too much screen space for an ifr installation; so naturally I would like to control it with the gtn650. Alas, we aren't allowed to control the uncertified transponder with the certified gtn650 even though it has two g3x displays.

Any hope of allowing the GTN650 to program a GTX-23ES IN A GDU370 system?

Second question, can we get GTN650 software updated at Oshkosh?

Hello Steve,

With the equipment in your panel, you have the option of installing a GTX 33ES, which would be controlled through your GTN 650 instead of your G3X system.

We would someday like to be able to offer GTN software updates to experimental owners at Oshkosh. However, there are complications related to the TSO'd nature of that product, so I don't believe that we will be able to provide this service just yet.

- Matt

Steve,
I have the dual GDU370's, remote GTX23ES and fly quite a bit IFR. I can't imagine the GTN being more convenient. The remote inputs also take up very little screen space. Are you sue you are seeing the correct lay-out?

Steve,
I have the dual GDU370's, remote GTX23ES and fly quite a bit IFR. I can't imagine the GTN being more convenient. The remote inputs also take up very little screen space. Are you sue you are seeing the correct lay-out?

l'll configure mine to program my gtx 327 to see how the interface works. Glad to hear it is working well for others.

Matt talked about the press-and-hold function of the G3X CLR button to quickly get you to the default page. The ENT button has a press-and-hold function called MARK.

MarkKey.jpg

When you press-and-hold the ENT key, a popup window allows you to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK your present position. So, for example, if your flying buddy just dead-stick'd his plane into a cow pasture beneath you, you can use this single key to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK the location.

But wait - there is more! :) Each time you press-and-hold the ENT key, G3X automatically places a "1" in the Event marker column in the current flight data log entry stored each second to the SD card. So, whether you want to go back and see the lat/lon stored when you pressed the MARK button or just look at the stored engine data when you MARK'd the time when your engine ran rough, the MARK function is very useful. If you are just using it to MARK the flight data log entry, just cancel the pop-up window which offers to create the user waypoint.

This is incredibly useful but the feature seems to be absent from my G3X Touch. Does anybody have another trick to create a user waypoint and/or mark the log file? It would be terrible if the only way was through heads-down scrolling through menus.

Control stick switches

I would like some suggestions on how others have set up the switches . I have a RV12 with dual G3X,s and autopilot w/305 controller. One being the radio press to talk. The other a 4 way switch.

I'm just finishing my Garmin panel. The G3x touch gets the GPS information from my GTN625. I'm curious what folks are doing with respect to the built-in GPS of the G3x? If you're hooking up a BNC GPS antenna like the portable GPS units use, where are you placing it? It seems a waste no to use it but I hate to have a GPS antenna puck just lying on the dash.

I'm just finishing my Garmin panel. The G3x touch gets the GPS information from my GTN625. I'm curious what folks are doing with respect to the built-in GPS of the G3x? If you're hooking up a BNC GPS antenna like the portable GPS units use, where are you placing it? It seems a waste no to use it but I hate to have a GPS antenna puck just lying on the dash.

Hello kaweeka,

As you know from the G3X installation manual, in a system without a GPS 20A installed, the GPS receiver on at least one of your GDU displays must be connected to its own GPS antenna:

Unless a GPS 20A is used for GPS position, a minimum of one GPS antenna is required for installations using more than one GDU 46X unit, as the GDU 46X will ?share? the GPS information with all GDU 46X units. Additional GPS antennas may be used for redundancy, but are not required.

Your G3X system will display navigation data from your GTN 625. However, the GTN does not output all the GPS data required by the G3X system, so the G3X system requires its own GPS antenna, connected to either a GDU display or a GPS 20A receiver.

Many customers choose the inexpensive GA 26C antenna, which can be mounted inside the cockpit as long as it has a clear view of the sky. Others choose an externally-mounted antenna such as the GA 56. The complete list of supported GPS antennas can be found in section 20.2 of the current installation manual.

- Matt

Hi all and specially g3xpert,

First question: I would like to know if there is a possibility to wire a unused switch on my stick to switch the pages, for example from the PFD to the engine page. I have not found a hint in the manual.

Second Question: I am a bit confused about wiring up my fuel gauges. I have the standard vans floating sensors and wanted to know if I can wire them directly as described in Figure 27-2.1 on page 27-2 (Rev W)?

Third question: I have installed a 7" G3X Touch for the rear seat in my RV-8. I wired it u as PFD #2. This should allow the person in the back to change frequencies as well as using the autopilot and XPDR. The rear stick is equipped with a trim-hat, AP-disengage and PTT button. In the rear panel I have also a flap switch. To be able to disengage the rear inputs I have installed switch in the front to disable all those functions (a switch in the GND line from the stick and flap switch towards my forest of grounds). Now it would be great if I could use a discrete input on the GAD-27 or GEA-24 to disable the inputs for the rear seat (just disengage the inputs of the buttons and touch surface). Would that be possible or am I the only one who would like this function?

Thanks,

Yves

Just wanted to request a feature.

Would it be possible to toggle between Speed/Dir and Head/X-wind in the wind data field by pressing on it.

I normally fly with Head/X-wind but would like to quickly know the Speed/Dir for my post flight de-brief for anyone who wants to listen.

- Ben

One more tip. The screenshot capture control is being moved from pressing and holding the joystick to pressing and holding the MENU key in the next G3X software update. The joystick has lots of uses, so it is a nice improvement to move this to the MENU key which makes this feature even easier to use.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,
Where is the joystick on the gdu 460?. I keep hearing this and reading it in the manual, but where? I see no joy stick on my -460.

Also, I read to keep the blank SD card in the -460 for normal use. Really?
How would it capture any data to look at later?

Question for the Garmin Guru

I am attempting to connect my Garmin EIS to the oil temperature sensor on a Continental IO-470. The sensor is original equipment on the engine. On the set-up page, I'm given 5 options for the Oil T Sensor:

* MilSpec MS28034
* Garmin 494-70009-00
* NIST ITS-90 K Type
* UMA-T3B3
* Rotax 966385

I haven't purchased a Garmin Oil T Sensor and I know it's not a Rotax. Do you have a best guess as to which of the other 3 options to use?

Possibly an ACTUAL SURVIVAL tip

After flying 2.2 hours cross country I stopped to drop off my safety pilot at his airport before departing for the very short (16 miles) flight to my airport. My airspeed was low (60kt) on my climb-out but the G3X was reporting a 41kt tailwind (which was not being reported on ATIS at KLEX or AWOS at 27K but weather and winds change more often than ATIS) so I let it go as the RV-12iS was climbing, sounding and feeling normal. Leveling off at 3,000' my indicated airspeed went up only slightly (65kt) with a ground speed of 105kt.

Knowing these we abnormal speed indications I was suspecting a pitot blockage or leak. I decided to maneuver away from traffic and get into slow flight, with full flaps, then attempt to find the indicated speed where a stall would occur before being closer to the terrain on final. Every turn to every direction confirmed the pitot issue as the G3X gave tailwinds of 37kt to 55kt at every heading turning around a point.

Here is where the SURVIVAL tip comes in. I slowed up greatly and worked in full flaps before reducing power and bringing in a flair to simulate landing. Indicated airspeed reached 28kt. The AOA gave appropriate warnings along the way and just about the time I was expecting the stall the ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection) took over and put the aircraft into a nosedive to pick up speed. I immediately thumbed the Autopilot Disconnect but found myself still fighting the nosedive. Autopilot had fully deflected the Trim nose down. I properly recovered from the unusual attitude then leveled off so that I could go into the menu and turn off ESP before heading to the airport.

Had this event occurred on final there would not have been time nor altitude to recover from ESP taking over control. If you ever suspect a pitot issue you MUST turn off ESP before attempting to land. It could save your life!

I removed the upper cowling and the line attached to the backside of the pitot tube had vibrated off. Easy fix but could've been a disaster.

Had this event occurred on final there would not have been time nor altitude to recover from ESP taking over control. If you ever suspect a pitot issue you MUST turn off ESP before attempting to land. It could save your life!

I removed the upper cowling and the line attached to the backside of the pitot tube had vibrated off. Easy fix but could've been a disaster.

Just a reminder that ESP is automatically disabled at 200 ft AGL, so it is never active when landing. Glad you figured out why your airspeed wasn't working!

From Pilot Guide:

"If enabled, this feature will automatically arm when the aircraft is above 500 feet AGL and the autopilot is not engaged, and disarm when below 200 feet AGL."

Steve

ESP Engagement

Glad to hear that you so quickly identified and corrected the issue in flight. Just a few things to keep in mind with regards to ESP.

• ESP is providing autopilot servo torque to the controls, but does not in any case move the trim surfaces.
  • Pressing and holding the AP DISC switch inhibits ESP from applying servo torque to the control surfaces. As soon as the AP DISC button is released, ESP may re-engage if the aircraft is still outside of the defined flight envelope.
  • There is the option to install a panel mounted switch, connected to any configurable discrete input that will provide quick control of the arm/disarm state of ESP.
  • ESP is disarmed below 200 AGL. If for any reason AGL is not available, airspeed ESP is inhibited.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Autopilot disconnect.

If the pilot has selected the autopilot OFF. (disconnected).
It should under NO circumstances interfer with flight controls period.
Trying to restore a dangerous situation fighting the autopilot kan get you killed.
This is dangerous and reminds me of the Boeing problem.
I have manually disabled the ESP-function in the GDU.
If the pilot gets disorientated or sick, the blue button is god to have.

If the pilot has selected the autopilot OFF. (disconnected).
It should under NO circumstances interfer with flight controls period.
Trying to restore a dangerous situation fighting the autopilot kan get you killed.
This is dangerous and reminds me of the Boeing problem.
I have manually disabled the ESP-function in the GDU.
If the pilot gets disorientated or sick, the blue button is god to have.

Most modern aircraft are outfitted with a system similar to this. My work airplane (a 78 million dollar business jet) is one such aircraft... it's almost exactly this system.

The boeing thing was dangerous not because of MCAS, but because of improper certification and the lack of training on the feature. The loss of life with the "boeing problem" was a result of poor pilotage (ie - the aircraft should have never been in a stall in the first place.)

This is a feature I use on my G3X system with a switch to turn it on and off. If I am on a cross country or flying in hard IMC, I use it. It's a Tool, and if properly trained it good be a really useful one. If you're not properly trained/aware of it's presence or how to use it, it, like anything else in this industry, will take you all the way to the scene of the accident.

Giving something like this a bad name because of a lack of understanding isn't good for those researching the G3X and it's potential benefits.

ESP

I understand that ESP may provide some help if the pilot does not pay attention in a multi miljon dollar aircraft. And I belive you are correct about that it requires training.
However in a sport aircraft with a pilot flying 20-50 h per year its my opinion
that it ads complexity that have a potential to get people killed.
My ESP was activated without my knowledge, an update.
Yes its my fault I did not read all the text about the update.
To me it happend on 3,000 ft. My friend will not fly with me again.
If the aircraft is acting in a way the pilot finds unsafe it must be possible
to turn the system off.
My opinion is that an autopilot must be able to be disconnected.

Just to be clear for others reading this - the G3X ESP feature must be specifically enabled by the user in configuration mode (or, in some instances, by an S-LSA OEM via a configuration file). The user also has control over the default state of ESP on every flight (opt-in or opt-out) and of course ESP can always be disabled manually, or inhibited by holding the AP DISC button.

ESP Information

to turn the system off.

This is described in detail on page 305 of the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide (Revision S).

It requires nothing more than pressing and holding the AP Disconnect switch. Alternatively, you can disarm ESP in the AFCS menu.

ESP is disabled in your display when it leaves our factory. It must be enabled and configured by the installer to ever provide servo input to the controls. A review of the installation and operations documentation prior to enabling or using any feature on the system is critical for safe operation.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly if you have any questions about your system. The G3X Touch is a very capable flight deck, and there are a lot of different features to learn about, we are happy to point you in the right direction for anything you are unsure about.

Thanks,

Justin

I am in 100% (no 100,000%) in agreement with Avanza on this. The pilot MUST be able to shut off all automation and be able to do so quickly. That is why my ESP is disabled.

Personally, I don't think it is enough that ESP is disabled when the red button is pushed because when you release it, ESP can take over again. This is highly reminiscent of the MCAS problem, which went beyond pilots not being trained in it. They literally could not hand fly the airplane without software interfering. That amounts to an egregious transfer of PIC authority from the pilot to a software engineer. The fact that Boeing felt the need to transfer control to software just exposes the flaw with mounting those engines on the airframe. With approval of the MAX, commercial aviation enters the world of fighter jets that require software control because they have difficult flight characteristics.

I don't want to have to default to having control relinquished to software. For this reason, my ESP will always be turned off so I KNOW I can permanently transfer control to ME without the fear of software trying to take over.

Happy and safe flying

Last edited:
I understand that ESP may provide some help if the pilot does not pay attention in a multi miljon dollar aircraft. And I belive you are correct about that it requires training.
However in a sport aircraft with a pilot flying 20-50 h per year its my opinion
that it ads complexity that have a potential to get people killed.
Yes its my fault I did not read all the text about the update.
To me it happend on 3,000 ft. My friend will not fly with me again.
to turn the system off.
My opinion is that an autopilot must be able to be disconnected.

For this reason and purpose I plan to put a hard wired switch on the panel to control power to the AP servo motors. I feel more confident knowing that power to the servos can be cut instantly, rather than rely on software to read whether a button at the end of a thin piece of wire has been pressed!

For this reason and purpose I plan to put a hard wired switch on the panel to control power to the AP servo motors. I feel more confident knowing that power to the servos can be cut instantly, rather than rely on software to read whether a button at the end of a thin piece of wire has been pressed!

Two things:

1. There is provision in the G3X Touch system to wire a switch to a discrete input and assign it to ESP enable/disable. A lot of people use a toggle switch with a launch-control switch guard, which seems like a reasonable solution.

2. IMHO having a switch (or breaker) to control power to the AP servos is a good idea regardless of the presence or absence of ESP. For both autopilots I've had fitted to my airplane at various times, it's been a basic requirement. Putting yourself into a position where you might have to overpower the primary flight controls due to a software bug has never sat well with me.

On my G3X Touch system, I don't use ESP. But if I did, my suggestion would be to use the discrete input referenced in (1) above to enable/suppress that feature, and also have a switch or accessible breaker on the servo power supplies to protect against non-ESP autopilot failures.

I've used a Tyco-type switchable circuit breaker to kill two birds with one stone, but a Klixon-style pullable breaker is probably just as good for this application.

- mark

ESP Circuit Breakers

We explain exactly how ESP works in our documentation, if active, ESP can be disabled by pressing and holding the Autopilot disconnect switch, and can also be turned off all together by the pilot in the AFCS menu, any time in flight.

If the pilot were to have configured and armed ESP without knowledge of how the system works, and some kind of malfunction occured, hopefully the servos were installed correctly and wired through a 5A circuit breaker, which they could use to remove power from the servos.

Thanks,

Justin

Additionally, the AP servos clutches can always be overpowered relatively easily by the pilot, at no time should you ever lose control of the aircraft due to the AP, it's not that powerful.

Finally!! Our IGRF has been updated……. ;)

I have no idea what the IGRF is, but I am pretty sure it is a mapping reference frame buried deep within the G3X software (I’m pretty sure, becasue a Garmin friend told me so….). For about the past six months (maybe a year?) we’ve been getting messages on both our original non-touch G3X airplane and our G3X Touch airplane that ”the IGRF is out of date”.

(You have to understand that both airplanes have essentially single-digit G3X system serial numbers - so they’ve been in use a LONG time….)

It was suggested by our Garmin friend that a software update would necesarily carry an IGRF that was current to the latest geological epoc, so I updated both systems to the latest software while it was too windy to fly this afternoon…and he was right! So if you get that annoying message, a software update is in order….

Paul

Cht track up option?

Is there a way to display the sectional chart (Cht) with a track up orientation on the G3X? I can only seem to do it on Map mode, but I really prefer to fly with the sectional chart displayed. I know I asked this before, but hoping the G3Expert would have figured a fix or change by now..

Last edited:
Is there a way to display the sectional chart (Cht) with a track up orientation on the G3X? I can only seem to do it on Map mode, but I really prefer to fly with the sectional chart displayed.

Nope. I have heard several stories as to why.

While it is technically possible to rotate raster graphics, stuff would be upside down and backwards at times.

I am guessing it is either the Feds or the lawyers that do not want this to happen.

This is exactly what I have done, I have a dedicated switch for AP which powers not only my GMC 507 but also the servos. If that switch is OFF, the servos are also don't get any juice and quickest way to shut them in case of malfunction or emergency.

While it is technically possible to rotate raster graphics, stuff would be upside down and backwards at times.

I am guessing it is either the Feds or the lawyers that do not want this to happen.

Weird. Foreflight does this.

Weird. Foreflight does this.

Yeah, like I mentioned, it is technically possible but just because you can, does not mean you should and different companies have different views on what you should and should not do.

When you think about it, back when we all used paper charts, most of us would rotate them in the direction of our track so not sure what the big deal is but I have a feeling it is not the engineers making that call.

Good point about paper charts. I didn't realize the G3X had that limitation.

It's installed in my plane for when I finish it. Maybe I'll use the G3X for attitude, engine and flight instruments and the iPad for Nav. :)

What's interesting is that Garmin does have a Track-up vs. North-up selection in Garmin Pilot, but not within the G3X.

Some of this has to do with their different departments. I get the feeling that in many cases they are managed very differently and sometimes things are done a certain way to provide separation between products.

That’s a shame.. I really want an all Garmin setup in my plane, but this would be a major problem. DYNON, GRT, and I’m pretty sure MGL display VFR sectional charts track up. It’s a preference for me, but I feel it’s unsafe to always have it north up. How could better situational awareness be a liability for the lawyers?

My preference is North Up. Very easy to see what direction I'm going vs Track Up where you need to look for a compass rose.

This is exactly what I have done, I have a dedicated switch for AP which powers not only my GMC 507 but also the servos. If that switch is OFF, the servos are also don't get any juice and quickest way to shut them in case of malfunction or emergency.

I set up my circuit breakers so I can kill the trim and AP servos and put the CB location aft on the bottom row so I don’t have to look to find them.

There is an ESP disable switch on the panel because I don’t want it on when I’m yanking and banking. My thought is on when traveling in flight and off all other times.

Level can be a bacon savor for a pilot in trouble, however it’s extremely useful when you need to handoff control for a minute to look at something. That’s why it’s the top right button on the stick. AP DISC/CWS is in the customary left top position.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 6
On sectional charts, if those are track up, the text is at all kinds of angles.

Regarding a separate switch for the autopilot servos, I have that. I used to have the 307 on that same switch until I realized that if I turned off the 307, I lost the convenient controller for the flight director. I rewired the 307 to get power from the same circuit breaker as the left (normally the pilot) side screen.

There is an ESP disable switch on the panel because I don’t want it on when I’m yanking and banking. My thought is on when traveling in flight and off all other times. .

ESP is also controlled by the PFD. Touch the autopilot mode annunciation bar to bring up all of the autopilot controls. (I think that's where it is, I never use it...)

On sectional charts, if those are track up, the text is at all kinds of angles.

Regarding a separate switch for the autopilot servos, I have that. I used to have the 307 on that same switch until I realized that if I turned off the 307, I lost the convenient controller for the flight director. I rewired the 307 to get power from the same circuit breaker as the left (normally the pilot) side screen.

Same. I want to pull the power to the servos only. Not the GMC and FD.
I mean I can do that via the GMC CB if I have to but that’s a second CB. I have an easily accessible switch for the servos alone.

ESP is also controlled by the PFD. Touch the autopilot mode annunciation bar to bring up all of the autopilot controls. (I think that's where it is, I never use it...)

True but one of my discretes was begging to be used. :D

GTR20 Updates

I have a G3X system with a GTR20 remote comm radio. How do I update the database on the GTR20?
I dont see it listed in my "flygarmin" account, and I cant enter it as a seperate piece of hardware.

I have a G3X system with a GTR20 remote comm radio. How do I update the database on the GTR20?
I dont see it listed in my "flygarmin" account, and I cant enter it as a seperate piece of hardware.

A GTR 20 doesn't have an internal database; your GDU display takes care of this.

Back