What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX battery experience?

dpemmons

I see it mentioned in a few other threads but thought I'd ask explicitly: Has anyone installed an EarthX battery with the Vans supplied Silent Hektik voltage regulator? I've done W&B calculations and should be ok there, and also understand I'd want to run a wire to the panel for a status LED. I'm curious, how well does the battery fit in the existing battery box? How has your experience been with it? Anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited:
I'm curious why you want to install EarthX battery in RV-12 when Odyssey battery works very well. Perhaps less weight?

I replaced my Odyssey 680's in my RV-10 when they were on their last leg and were having difficulties starting the engine. In all fairness, they lasted through the last part of my build and five years for flying.

I did that because the EarthX have greater cranking amps, greater capacity, and they weigh quite a bit less.

To answer Dale's questions, I don't have any experience with that voltage regulator.

They are a tad smaller than the Odyssey batteries. If an Odyssey fits, these will fit. EarthX does supply some foam inserts to compensate for the slightly smaller dimension. I had no issues with the swap out.

You also don't have to install a LED on the panel. They work well if you have an unused annunciator input on your EFIS. That's what I did.

I really am happy with my EarthX purchase.

My motivation would be that it saves 11½ lbs and provides higher cranking amps, which I understand is easier on the sprag clutch. Also my current battery is 8 years old and will need replacement at some point, so why not consider an upgrade?

Have you estimated the CG location with the EarthX? My CG tends to hover at the aft end of the CG envelop. -11 1/2 in front is going to aggrivate that.

I don't have access to my spreadsheet at the moment, but as I recall my calcs showed (at least for my plane) the CG would move back a bit but stay within the envelop for all common loading scenarios. Probably worth doing it twice to confirm, however.

I don't have access to my spreadsheet at the moment, but as I recall my calcs showed (at least for my plane) the CG would move back a bit but stay within the envelop for all common loading scenarios. Probably worth doing it twice to confirm, however.

Removing weight from the rear should move your CG forward, thereby allowing more weight aft of the CG point before reaching the aft CG limit.

Larry

Removing weight from the rear should move your CG forward, thereby allowing more weight aft of the CG point before reaching the aft CG limit.

Larry

The battery in the RV-12 is forward of the CG.

Rob Hickman

Back