What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Ammeter Shunt .. where to mount?

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
G3X Touch folks .. where are you guys installing your Ammeter Shunt?

Last edited:
Under battery. Seemed like a good place in between the alternator and the pass through for the wire without needing any crazy bends or turns. Remember you need 1amp fuses in each leg off the shunt to the G3X.

Fusible link for me.... 20AWG for the signal wire with a 1-2" length of 24AWG at the shunt end. Reminds me I need to source some fiberglass sleeve....

Under battery. Seemed like a good place in between the alternator and the pass through for the wire without needing any crazy bends or turns. Remember you need 1amp fuses in each leg off the shunt to the G3X.

+1, right next to the 60a ANL fuse.

HTH,

Dave

Here's my setup

Here's my setup. Garmin G3X shunt and ANL fuse. I used 24ga wire to make fuseable links.

2017-06-23%2019.52.02.jpg

Someone posted a link to small 1 amp fuses for electronics use, I think I got some from Digikey, they look like tiny resistors. I'm not using an ANL but a 60 amp CB in the cabin.

Digikey PN F2313-ND

Last edited:
I have two shunts and current limiters since I have added a second alternator and power bus.

My primary shunt/limiter set up looks almost identical to Jared's post above.

I'm posting this image of my second shunt/limiter to show the fusible links I used instead of inline or panel mounted fuses. I had a bunch on hand left over from my first aircraft build. One amp inline fuses would work just as well.

The second set of contactors are for a ground power bus and to crossfeed my two power buses together. All straight out of the Aeroelectric book.

picture-7.jpg

Back