What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 - Sacramento, CA to Pittsburgh, PA

FlyinTiger

Well Known Member
It was my privilege to ferry Jeanette Hibpshman's and my RV-4 from just North of Sacramento, CA to the Pittsburgh, PA area. The trip took one long and one short day, a total of 12.9 hrs "Hobbs" time. The weather was amazingly VFR the whole way. I stopped approximately every two hours for fuel. Good to stretch the legs, empty the bladder and take in the sights.

I flew at 11,500' for the first two legs, then 9,500 the rest of the way. Using the disposable supplemental oxygen bottles to take a deep breath of 95% oxygen every 10 minutes worked to keep my pulse oximeter higher than 85.

I enjoyed visiting the airports I had the pleasure of stopping at along the Northern route: KMYV KEKO LCU KEVW KGUR KOFK KVYS KFDY KBVI. The center and approach controllers were very accommodating and gave me flight following the whole way.

I was very fortunate to only have a couple of cotton-ball patches of clouds to avoid.

If anyone is considering a trip to any of these great places or a long cross country journey in an RV-4 please don't hesitate to PM me for more information.

Here are some pictures I took along the way to help me remember how amazing the trip really was:

Continued

Last leg to our new home

This is the last leg of the trip. Our new home airport is Beaver County (KBVI).

Hope these were enjoyable for the VAF!

Welcome to Beaver County! You'll find a number of RVers here. What hangars are you based at? I'm on the east side. I'd love a chance to see your -4 sometime.

BVI - my old home

I grew up in Hopewell and fly my RV to BVI to visit my parents at least once a year. I didn't know there were any RV'ers there, but now I know who to ask for hangar space when I'm coming to town!

Welcome to Western PA

The Ohio Valley RVators Yahoo group typically picks a Saturday / Sunday fly somewhere and it eat get together every VFR weekend.

Based at KVVS, I typically head out with several RVs from KFWQ every weekend.

Great report and pics! I grew up in the South Hills area and learned to fly at KAFG (Washington Co.)in 1976 and moved to NC in 1982. My dad kept his Arrow and Mooney at Beaver Co., so I have flown in and out of there quite a bit..but that was all in the mid 70's. I havent flown my -4 up from NC to Pgh yet, but its on my list to do soon. maybe I will shoot for one of the KVVS meetings or something one day.

Hi Al, Really nice pics you took. Loved it. Could I ask you where you got that O2 bottle? Looks like its portable??---yes?? I'm frequently at 11500 or 12500, and never feel any ill effects, but then I'm no spring chicken anymore either.:rolleyes:

BVI

I'm looking forward to meeting a new group of RV pilots. Beaver County is an exciting active airport. Lots going on this week. Pulled pork catered Friday and Saturday. Fly Girls Cafe is awesome. Ford Trimotor coming in this Saturday too.

Hi Al, Really nice pics you took. Loved it. Could I ask you where you got that O2 bottle? Looks like its portable??---yes?? I'm frequently at 11500 or 12500, and never feel any ill effects, but then I'm no spring chicken anymore either.:rolleyes:

Hi donaziza. We ordered the O2 from Sporty's and had it shipped directly to a friend's house so it was ready for Al when he got there to ferry the plane.

Gotta admit...I am quite jealous that I gave up the opportunity to do this trip!

I'm looking forward to meeting a new group of RV pilots. Beaver County is an exciting active airport. Lots going on this week. Pulled pork catered Friday and Saturday. Fly Girls Cafe is awesome. Ford Trimotor coming in this Saturday too.

I really hope the Tri-Motor arrives tomorrow - I'm taking my brother in law for a ride in it on Friday!

West Hangars - 104

HAHA that is my old hangar! I thought the tape on the floor looked very familiar.

When I moved out of there last fall, I left a tail weight (concrete in a plastic tub) there. If it's still there, it's yours.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you shovel snow away from the door in the winter or you will have this happen:

http://www.brunbergs.net/?p=35

wpid-20150207_081551-e1423349916974.jpg

Small world, huh?

If you keep up with the snow, you shouldn't have too much problem with ice. just know that the slope on the floor in that row of hangars doesn't allow very good drainage. If you allow a snow dam to form outside the door, when the snow melts, it will run inside and then freeze. Then the outside snow turns into an ice dam and it gets worse.

Last edited:
trip of a lifetime

Tiger,
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

My Eastbound pilgramage was 2 years and 200 hours ago.
My counsel and instructor- Dave Austin said bring your best camera- yet I was so used to flying straightest and cheaper, I had difficulty accepting his route.

Sure glad I did and my pictures are blown up 4' x 5' in my hanger on display.

Awesome.

Daddyman
Dues paid
200 + hrs RV-4 driver

Suggestion for that area: P15 Brokenstraw

Great report and pics! I grew up in the South Hills area and learned to fly at KAFG (Washington Co.)in 1976 and moved to NC in 1982. My dad kept his Arrow and Mooney at Beaver Co., so I have flown in and out of there quite a bit..but that was all in the mid 70's. I havent flown my -4 up from NC to Pgh yet, but its on my list to do soon. maybe I will shoot for one of the KVVS meetings or something one day.

Bill,
Cool.
Did you ever land at Brokenstraw?
I heard it is a grass place to go.

Daddyman

O2 to whiff

Hi donaziza. We ordered the O2 from Sporty's and had it shipped directly to a friend's house so it was ready for Al when he got there to ferry the plane.

Gotta admit...I am quite jealous that I gave up the opportunity to do this trip!

Yep,
I use the same bottles you use when I want to go high, or night (even a little high).

Daddyman

Brokenstraw..yep

Yes, I have been to Brokenstraw in our old Mooney and the Arrow. My dads friend and Mooney co-owner had a hunt camp in Pittsfield, so we went there often. Of course, that was a while back. Nice area!

Thank you

Thanks for the advice! Good to know info.
The tail weight is still there...we were wondering what that was for...

Thanks for the advice! Good to know info.
The tail weight is still there...we were wondering what that was for...

My pleasure. The tail weight was a "gift" to me from the prior occupant of Hangar 103. I can see why he didn't take it with him when he moved out.

I was at the airport yesterday and noticed when flying out it looked like someone was at your hangar but I didn't manage to stop by and introduce myself. Maybe if you're there sometime this weekend...

Jeanette, saw a photo in the current issue of AMA mag. I knew Al flew models, but didnt know R/C was a family thing.

Is this a permanent move?

It has been just over a year since we went west in the -10. Starting to get the itch again seeing all the pictures.

Nice trip

Jeanette, saw a photo in the current issue of AMA mag. I knew Al flew models, but didnt know R/C was a family thing.

Is this a permanent move?

Hey Mike!

Yeah, our kiddos fly smaller RC planes and quads - we're a flying family!

The move is permanent (for now). Al is finishing up his service in the Pennsylvania ANG flying out of Pittsburgh in the KC-135. Deployments were taxing on active duty. We've been through 13 in 15 years. Done. At least in the Guard, he just goes on 30-day TDY's and can say 'no'.

I'm flying to Sac Friday and spending the weekend flying with friends before loading the last of our goods into a moving truck on the 6th. Planning to fly to Willows (KWLW) early for breakfast on 4 June and then we'll be at 052 for the aircraft display day too. Come on out!!

Planning to fly to Willows (KWLW) early for breakfast on 4 June and then we'll be at 052 for the aircraft display day too. Come on out!!

Wish I could, plane is down for ignition upgrade.

Stop by here if you want------Rob S. is just across the street also.

Good luck with the relocation.

Al and Jeanette - hello from Sutter County airport! Loved the trip report and look forward to traveling in the -9A. (Almost done). Best of luck to you guys!

Wes

Back