What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 People: Can You Describe Your Stick?

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Specifically, the angle of lean. My HR front stick is 180 degrees from the lower pushrod attach, through the main pivot, to the grip. A F1 buddy tells me his leans back but can't quantify the angle. Does anyone have the angle handy? Just looking for the difference between the datum ( pushrod attach and main pivot) and the stick centerline.

Thanks

Kinda busy here...

But I can tell you the stick has a slight bend in it just above the socket (front stick is removable). Memory tells me the bend is about 7 deg. Stick blank is 17? long - owner should trim to fit.

I?m scrambling to get on my way to Reno PRS - gotta travel on Thurs or Fri. If I can remember, I?ll measure the angle.

Thanks Mark. I should be able to get my eyes on one tomorrow. If you don't have the dimension handy, don't put yourself out.

I put an S-bend in mine that moved the top aft about 3".

FWIW, my stomach is flat. Consider your girth before moving it too far aft!! :D

YMMV!

Vince

Looked at one over the weekend that was out of the box stock. Has a 2 inch stub at 180, then a cut/weld to bring the grip back about 2 inches. Is this the standard configuration?

No it?s not

Looked at one over the weekend that was out of the box stock. Has a 2 inch stub at 180, then a cut/weld to bring the grip back about 2 inches. Is this the standard configuration?

No cutting or welding on the stock part. I have seen some that had a second bend near the top - but none welded. Keep in mind the front stick is removable.

Vince might have something new for the F4 Raider?

I?m busy prepping for the Reno PRS - I?ll try to remember to measure one tomorrow, else it?s gonna be 10 days or so before I?ll be back. C?mon up and have a look - the PRS activities close down around 1800 local (check notams for exact timing). I suspect the no-prop-turn-line is still in effect tho.

Got it

The stick is formed about 6" from the bottom - a gentle 20 deg bend. So much for my thinking 7 deg! The builder trims the bottom so there is about 1 1/2" is straight and round so it fits into the lower socket. Also the builder can trim the length, but I suggest doing that after maneuvering near the top of the speed envelope - it takes 'a bit more muscle' - or a longer stick - to maneuver at 175+ KIAS, and the plane will go past that speed laughing.

The stick is made from 7/8" dia 4130 - I think .049 wall.

Keep in mind that the 240KT Vne is actually 240KTAS.

Does this help?

Back