What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey batteries

rvdave

Well Known Member
I have a pc680 battery I may have ruined by not keeping it charged properly, used as a standby battery in a not yet flying 10. Charged it sporadically but apparently with standby power to efis had dropped voltage to a point of doing something internally to the battery since it got from not providing adequate voltage to not charging and holding voltage. Trying some steps to recover this one but brings to question the proper charging voltages for the 680 or 925. From what I read Odyssey says 14.2 to 14.7 volts on alternator, but for storing says 12.84 is full charge so I?m assuming a trickle charge to keep it up to 12.84 is what keeps these batteries going while not yet flying? Anyone been able to recover a fairly new discharged odyssey battery?

Power supply unit

Your going to need a power supply unit for hangar use to keep this from happening. Running the battery down and trying to keep it charged is not good for the battery. I bought an old used unit, I don?t have the info handy but can get it for you if needed. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Has anybody with questionable Odyssey 680 battery woes upped their voltage regulator to 14.7 volts with any success?

I guess I?m the odd man out. I have a pair of 680s going into their fifth year of service and are working just fine. I have an Odyssey battery charger, but I only use it occasionally when I?m working on the panel.

4 1/2 years

Yeah I have a pair of PC680s that have been working great for 4 1/2 years. I expect to get 5 out of them and replace with 2 new ones. I have 2 batteries because I have a 2 separate buses in my plane. Never needed it before... I digress... Anyway, from my experience you can't really bring back these batteries after they have been damaged in some way. The key is to use them and charge them constantly. I have a good friend on the field that doesn't fly that often and keeps buying batteries year after year and is always frustrated because he puts a charger on the battery but they don't last. The key is to use the batteries, let them come down but not die and the recharge. It's what they were designed to do.

Just a word of caution on chargers. There have been numerous reports on the interwebs from people who don't understand why their PC680s died early deaths when they always had them on AGM battery maintainers. If you read Odyssey's docs, they tell us that AGM batteries have very low self-discharge rates and it's counterproductive to leave them on 'maintainers'.

On the other hand, if you're using the systems on the ground and never recharge, it will eventually run down the battery until it's dead. The obvious best solution is a 'bench' power supply that can provide stable voltage without a battery in the circuit.

My middle of the road approach is to use a small maintainer on the battery if I'm doing extended systems work, and maybe leave it on long enough for the maintainer to go 'green', saying the battery is fully charged, then remove it.

FWIW...

...when in doubt......

I had a pc925 and never 'externally' charged it. If it would fire the engine every 3 months, it got flown and recharged a bit. 3 years of flying 6 or 8 hrs a year, and it's still going...now in year 5 as far as I recall ( not my plane anymore!)

I did a bit of research, and even 'Odyssey' admitted that some of their early 'maintainers' had the wrong charge profile, and didn't do the right stuff.

THey have some fairly specific action to recharge a 'dead' battery. Sounds like most maintainers will not have enough juice to kick up one that has dropped below 12v...so you have to fully discharge, then start from scratch.
see this here info; good luck!

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_Battery_Reconditioning_Charge_Procedure.pdf

I have 2 PC680 batteries in my RV10 and one in my RV6A that would not last long (< year) due to not flying much and no charger. I bought YUASA SmartShot 900 chargers for each battery. These state they will not over charge and can maintain full charge indefinitely. I keep these connected to the batteries at all times that I'm not flying and my batteries are now fully charged and last for years. I originally worried about overcharging, but I have had no problems while charging in this manner. Both planes now start quickly because the batteries stay strong.

Kevin,

I've had the same no-name AGM in my RV-4 for about 5 years. It gets flown less than 10 hours a year, on average. Does that qualify for not flown much? :)

Odyssey longevity

My current PC680 battery is 8 years old and is just now showing signs of not holding a charge like it use to. No special care or feeding, just try to fly at least once a week. Using an automotive Denso 60amp alternator with about 800 hrs on it which charges in cruise about 14.2 volts.

Mugsy

Back