What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanger Space Near Houston

I will finally be graduating law school in just under 12 months and will be working full time in Houston (I'm originally from close to the area and I've worked in Houston before). After graduation I'll need to find some hangar space, which I've heard can be difficult.

Anybody have any tips for my search?

Thanks!

Posting here, it would be good to narrow down the search a bit. Lot of miles between the extreme ends of town. Better yet, go visit the airports where you think you'd like to hangar. Ask a few people on the field. Should be able to walk or drive up to the hangars at any GA airport in the area, except Ellington. You'll have to go by the Airport Operations office to check on rental opportunities there.

EAA 302 meets at Conroe Airport second saturday of the month. June 10 will be the next meeting. Might be a good start.

Jay

I've been flying off and on with Joy out at Houston Southwest for a while and she recommended that I get on it early(ish) because it can be hard to come by space.

I'm on the email list for EAA 302, but I always have a conflict with the meetings. I'm going to try to make the next one for sure. I guess I should just drive out to pearland, sugarland, etc. I just wasn't sure how many others I was missing...could always check the sectional I guess.

You like grass, asphalt, concrete? Expensive (uptight, lots of rules) or affordable (casual, airport dogs running around)? You have the full spectrum in the area.

You like grass, asphalt, concrete? Expensive (uptight, lots of rules) or affordable (casual, airport dogs running around)? You have the full spectrum in the area.

I deal with enough uptight individuals in the legal profession as it is...plus I love dogs so airport dogs would be a plus in my book. I guess I don't really mind either way though. It would be nice to have folks hanging around on weekends.

I didn't have any trouble getting a hanger at KSGR a couple of years ago. The T-hangers are very nice, however they do not allow any maintenance work, oil changing, or even washing of aircraft in the T-hangers. So if all you need is a place to store your plane, and you plan to live in the south west, then KSGR is a possibility. But if you want a more casual place where you can do maintenance in your hanger, I think KCXO is a much better choice. (Just too far away from my home for me.)

Hooks (DWH) has T-hangars available. There are many multi-plane hangars that often have space as well. Like Bryan said, it depends where you live and how far you want to travel to your plane.

Thank you for all the responses. I want to go check out Hooks soon. I will also be attending the next EAA meeting. I think Conroe is full. Waiting list is around 5 people long.

If you are coming to the south side, we have a few spots at wolfe airpark for $185-$300 per month. Pearland also has some t hangars for $400 per month. We have a lot of rv's at both airports.

If you are coming to the south side, we have a few spots at wolfe airpark for $185-$300 per month. Pearland also has some t hangars for $400 per month. We have a lot of rv's at both airports.

Wolfe would be awesome. I just kind of assumed it would be full. How is the strip with all the rain?

Very well crowned. It is useable within hours of a rain. We now have lights for night flying an asphalt taxiways. We tell folks to stay off the first 100' at each end and stay on the crown. I know of one hangar spot that is opening up in about 10 days in a enclosed hangar with power and water. There is only two planes in this hangar. The one in the back very rarely ever flies. You would be up front all the time for $300/month. The current rv3 that is in the spot is finishing up building a new hangar. The community hangar goes for $190/month, but there are 14 airplanes in there. You really need to call the day prior to make sure your plane is up front for the next day. They get moved around a lot. We also have a bunch of lots for sale if you are interested in building your own hangar. I just finished building a new hangar on taxiway two. We currently have a -3, -4, -6, and -7 based here with another 10 or so rv's within 20 miles on three other airfields. i would be glad to give you a tour and hook you up with the right people. Send me a pm and we can get together sometime for the details.

Last edited:
Back