What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adel Clamp Tricks

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

Running wires all over the engine compartment and using lots of adel clamps (or nut catapults...) Right now, I am using some locking fish hook removers and small ty-wraps to hold them while I get the bolts in and it works ok, but I figured others had some good methods too.

Bonus points if you state your solution in Limerick form.... :D

Happy Friday to you all.

Adel Clamps

Adel clamps are a pain.
Installing two can drive me insane.
I've tried every trick I can find,
I've been wracking my mind,
Please help me to finish my plane.

There is actually a tool to hold these during installation. I forget where I saw them, though. Oh, well.

How about a haiku:

I loathe adel clamps
They launch small parts into space
When they spring open

Idea from Laird Owens, that is in my archive of useful RV-List messages:

Here's a neat tool to hold "adel" or cushion clamps while your trying to thread on a washer and nut.

1. Take an old hacksaw blade and cut it down to about 4" long.
2. Grind off the teeth.
3. Grind a "V" in the end, about 1/4" wide by 1" long.
4. Slightly sharpen the "V" so it will engage a #10 screw's thread.

Now you put the clamp around the thing your holding, compress the clamp, insert a screw, then slide the tool up to the thread.

The tool will keep the clamp from moving and hold the screw in place while you thread a washer and nut on to the screw.

My father developed this technique back when he worked on the Lockheed Electra and passed it on to me where it worked well on my RV-6.

Also, the Aeroelectric Connection web site has a page that shows you everything you wanted to know about adel clamps but were afraid to ask.

=================

I never used Laird's idea, but I did use a similar idea I stole from another builder. I made a tool from a piece of hacksaw blade. I cut a slot in the side of the blade, about 1/8" wide, and half way through the blade. You hold the Adel clamp together with one hand, then put the slot over the two flat parts of the clamp, right up next to the wire bundle. Let go, and the clamp will be jammed in the slot, holding it together while you fumble around getting the screw, washer and nut on. If you have two clamps to put on one screw, you can sometimes use two hacksaw blade tools, one on each clamp. That may, or may not work, depending on the angle between the two clamps.

Then, I stole another idea, and bought two pair of used hemostats at OSH. I put a 3/16 punch through the screw holes in the Adel clamps. Then I use a hemostat to hold the flat parts of the clamp together. Pull out the punch, and insert the screw, washer and nut. Works great. If you have two clamps for one screw, you can use two hemostats.

Warning: This is awful

Squeese the clamps as hard as you can, don't let up not even a bit.
The holes must line up to get the bolt through it.
Now hold the clamps with some pliers with your free hand.
Next reach for the wire and make a secure band.
Another nut launched into the dark recesses, damnit.

Kevin and Laird in Limerick form

Find yourself a hacksaw blade,
A funky new tool is made,
The slot is the key,
Your hand it will free,
As you admire how little you paid

Kevin and Laird - great ideas - Thanks

Installing Adel clamps with a cleco clamp

Take a cleco clamp in one hand
The adel clamp in the other
In a third hand take the bolt
With a fourth hand dial your mother.

Now with Mom's hands we have six
It may seem you have too few
But of all my building tricks
This is one I'll pass to you:

Cleco the adel clamp nice and tight
Slip the bolt into its spot
Twist the nut on, thread it right
It mustn't strip, it mustn't rock.

Torque the nut per the table
Remove the cleco clamp when able

If you do all this and do it right
The nut won't sproing clear outta sight.

Place the Adel Clamp where you want it. Close with a pair of locking vice grips. Wrap with tie wire and unlock the vice grips. Then you can either put on a washer and nut or screw into a nutplate as the case may be. The tie wire can remain on until you need to remove the adel clamp, maybe never.

Avery's sell's pliers for adel clamps

I saw them at SnF and wish I had picked them up. Now it looks like I'll be ordering a set.

Avery "Line Clamp Plier"

N941WR said:
I saw them at SnF and wish I had picked them up. Now it looks like I'll be ordering a set.
Here is Avery's "Line Clamp Plier". That's pretty intuitive name. I might have used the word "adel" in there somewhere. :)

Like having a third hand. Special plier to clamp and hold tabs on cushioned loop style aircraft clamps while installing screws. Has latch that holds clamp tabs together. For use with #8 and #10 screws. Quality forged steel construction.
LINE CLAMP PLIER
SKU: 535
Price: $69.00

rv8ch said:
Here is Avery's "Line Clamp Plier". That's pretty intuitive name. I might have used the word "adel" in there somewhere. :)
Maybe they'd have to pay someone if the used the word "Adel"?? I'll live with a non-intuitive name if it means the tool's a few bucks cheaper!
Oh... here's the limerick:

Once I used safetywire pliers for the Adel clamp-ing drill,
But that was when Uncle Sam was paying the tool bill.
Now that I'm a civilian and tools are bought by me,
I use needle-nose Vise Grips, which work quite nicely.

Betcha didn't think a Marine helicopter mechanic could do poetry, eh? :D

Line Pliers

I the line pliers at US Air Tool at Sun 'N Fun and just could not resist it - $42.00
Danny

Adel Clamps

Never mind safety wire, tie wraps, needle nose pliers, or fish hook hook removers for installing Adel Clamps. Check out this Adel Clamp tool. It makes multiple Adel Clamp installations a breeze. I bought mine directly from SMAM Tools at 912-882-4359. You can see how it works at smamtools.com. Jeff

Vise-grip pliers I use,
A scratch awl to align,
Safetywire working with twos,
Overcome a poor design,

Really bad I know. I use safety wire for doing more than one clamp together, and use a big scratch awl to align all the holes.

Wire Bundle Lacing Tape (flat wax impregnated nylon string)

There was an old clamp from Adel
Installin' it was a pain
I tied it with twine
To keep it in line
An' it never gave trouble again

Bob Axsom

When trying to hold adel clamps flat
I soon found it very true that
It was hard on the fingers
And caused quite a few 'zingers'
Until I used a hemostat.

My only reservation about the modified vice grips (aside from the price) is that they wouldn't go in some of the places I've had to put clamps. However, it's still a great idea. I think I have a worn pair of needle-nose grips around here that would do the trick a little better.

There once was a builder named Lace...

There once was a builder named Lace
Who built at a very quick pace
In a rush to complete
Some wiring quite neat
The adel nuts launched into space

poor attempt

there once was a clamp called adel
that most people just called o'****
try as the might
they couldn't get it tight
it the end they just said "oh well."

I posted back when this thread started about buying the line pliers. I have since discovered that in most cases I can't get the pliers into the locations I most need to install the Adel clamps. I've been using the safety wire method but the hacksaw blade sounds like something I may try.
Danny
Getting ready to paint my 7A

The Two Needle Nose Vice Grip Adel Clamp Method

I have really improved on these, what used to take 45 minutes I can do in 5-10 minutes now.

Basically I start with the larger adel clamp, and use an awl and a needle nose vice grip (NNVG) to get it tight, holes aligned and held in place with the NNVG on the mount side of the holes, not blocking the holes. You may have to sequentially clamp with two NNVG while you work the awl to line up the holes. I usually do this with one, releasing it slightly to tighten the jaws or align the holes.

Then you get your second (usually smaller) adel clamp and work your second clamp so it has the bolt in it and use the other NNVG to with one jaw on the head of the bolt and the other on the edge of the original clamp. Don't try to get far enough in to start the nut, just far enough to have the bolt though 3-4 adel clamp holes; otherwise you will be using to much force to easily release the one jaw of the first NNVG that is now between the adel clamps.

Now, without dislodging the 2nd NNVG, pull out the first NNVG that is trapped. Use it to take the final bite between the bolt head and the original adel clamp. You should have two adel clamps held perfectly in place with the bolt fully seated ready for a nut.

I am talking the small NNVG here, about as long as your hand.

Hans

Last edited:
Hemostats for the win

Just can't say enough about how much easier these things make working with the adel/cushion clamps.

img_9949-1024x768.jpg

I squeeze the clamps shut with what ever tool it takes, with a bolt in the hole. Then take a bit of safety wire and wire the clamp shut, remove bolt and you are ready to go. I often will tuck the tail of the safety wire out of the way and leave it on the clamp. This makes future adjustments or maintenance a lot easier.

4" tie wraps work well, particularly in tight spaces and with more than one adel stacked up. Depending on the situation, I'll simply leave the tie wrap on, pushing it out from underneath the bolt/washer/nut. Makes for dis-assembling the stack easier next time.

Sorry Pete, no limerick.

There once was a wench named Adel
Whose design was concocted in H**l
In their use I?ve bled a bucket
I?ve given up and said f***k it
I?ve got quite a few that I?ll sell

What an elegant design!! I hope the 561 is the same width as the 560, I ordered one, will report. I dreamed an configuration like this but (without the split end) just clamped and used safety wire to hold them. Now all is done the right tool will be available for service!

10yrs of VAF & OSH & SnF . . . and NOW it gets posted! Edit -I see Gary posted the same back in 2014 - I guess I was working that day.

Thanks for sharing Gary! Bloody fingers will thank you. Ron Schreck said it best.

Last edited:
OK, make that another one sold - not sure how it works though - Condor, you need to post a video/pictures!

15 sold now - I bet that guy is wondering what the heck happened today, and where he should be advertising. DR - you listening?

Last edited:
OK, make that another one sold - not sure how it works though - Condor, you need to post a video/pictures!

Here is how I have been using it. Video Link.

Not that easy to shot a video with one hand and work the tool with the other but I was able to do it. I did edit out a few seconds to make the video more watchable. The video is 36-seconds long.

Not sure where I got mine but it may have been given to me by Sid Golden 25-years ago.

I would not usually use a drilled bolt and castle nut but that is what I had for the video.

Last edited:
Spruce sells Adel clamp tools, p/n 12-02017.

So does Wicks, p/n ACP.

So does Skygeek, p/n ATS-SMA-101.

I'm sure others do, too.

Dave

Back