What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 650 to GRT Sport Sx wiring?

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
For those of you that might have these boxes are 2 sets of 2 Serial in/out ports required and connected to your Sport EFIS or just one set? The 650 pins I am referring to are pins 8 & 27 of P1001 and referred to as Rs232 out1 and in1 respectively; and pins 7 & 26 of P1001 and referred to as Rs232 out2 and in2.

GRT documentation makes no mention of this second serial port from the 650 and if it's needed I'm not sure where to wire it in unless I run it thru the serial combiner. Can't get a hold of any tech at GRT! I also have the ARINC box and the Mini-X but I'm pretty clear on the wiring of these.

Jim
RV9a

For those of you that might have these boxes are 2 sets of 2 Serial in/out ports required and connected to your Sport EFIS or just one set? The 650 pins I am referring to are pins 8 & 27 of P1001 and referred to as Rs232 out1 and in1 respectively; and pins 7 & 26 of P1001 and referred to as Rs232 out2 and in2.

GRT documentation makes no mention of this second serial port from the 650 and if it's needed I'm not sure where to wire it in unless I run it thru the serial combiner. Can't get a hold of any tech at GRT! I also have the ARINC box and the Mini-X but I'm pretty clear on the wiring of these.

Jim
RV9a

GRT staff are on vacation this week, I read elsewhere.
You only need one pair of RS232 lines to/from the efis. The second pair out of the 650 can be used for other purposes (e.g., it is common to wire an autopilot with RS232 lines and ARINC lines from both the EFIS and the GPS, with a toggle switch selecting which one is actually in use. Usually the EFIS, but it allows the GPS to directly supply the autopilot with data if the efis fails.).

Thanks Bob. One set of Rs232 wires reinforces what I thought. In my case I use the autopilot features from the Sport and not a separate AP box so don't know how the switch could work.

The second Rs232 wires are already included into my 650 harness so I guess I'll just stub them off for now. Unless I should wire those into the Mini-X EFIS. Does anyone know if the position data from the Sport Sx EFIS gets transferred over to the Mini-X? They are wired together.

Jim
RV9A

If you have ports available on the mini, I'd go ahead and wire it directly to the GPS. That way you get the data if the main EFIS dies.

Back