VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-17-2019, 12:15 AM

Default Aft fuselage wire harness routing

I'm currently installing the aft fuselage wire harness (WH-00057) per the instructions in section 10-25. There isn't a lot of space for the wires as they pass between the bulkheads and J-stiffener and it seems like any movement could cause damage to the wires over time. I'm considering wrapping the bundle with heat shrink in those areas but wondering if there is a better way.

Also, wondering about those that have flying -14's have any second thoughts about how the harness was routed. Having to climb in the tail to pull another wire in the future seems challenging with all the tie-wraps. Or, is this a "stick to the plans" because it's a non-issue? I figure now is the time to consider it before I rivet all the skins on.

Thanks
RV-14 (#140579) -- Empennage in process
Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 AM

I used a short length of plastic conduit at each bulkhead to minimize any pinching or chafing of the wires. As far as new wires, I used a different ELT than provided for in the wiring harness which necessitated a new run of 3 conductor wire. I ran this along the floor utilizing the bulkhead holes with snap bushings left from the coax to the rear transponder antenna I removed that was no longer needed for the transponder I used.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2018 Donation+
Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashman View Post
I'm currently installing the aft fuselage wire harness (WH-00057) per the instructions in section 10-25. There isn't a lot of space for the wires as they pass between the bulkheads and J-stiffener and it seems like any movement could cause damage to the wires over time. I'm considering wrapping the bundle with heat shrink in those areas but wondering if there is a better way.

Also, wondering about those that have flying -14's have any second thoughts about how the harness was routed. Having to climb in the tail to pull another wire in the future seems challenging with all the tie-wraps. Or, is this a "stick to the plans" because it's a non-issue? I figure now is the time to consider it before I rivet all the skins on.

Thanks
I actually installed some extra wires while I built the tailcone - ran them along the right side, opposite the wires that Van's supplied. Then when I was about ready to fly, took them out as I couldn't think of anything I'd need to add back there. If were adding wires later, would find a way to use a flexible conduit through bulkheads or a pull wire along the side J-stiffeners. But I can't think of much I'd add that far aft..
Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 PM

I wondered the same thing, so used some caterpillar grommet held in place with some RTV. Donít know if this is the right thing to do or not but anyway...

http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
May 2020
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 PM

I used wire loom split tubing, it was a little tight but I'm happy with the results.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iQLGJZQJfvcZ1M6r6

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log