What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to decide

RatMan

Well Known Member
OK, I have read the arguments both way. But when do you have to decide? Are there any differences in the tail or wings or is it just the fuse that's different?

I just got my -8/8A empennage kit - you don't have to decide prior to this.
I don't know about the wing kit - there is no difference in the wings, but depending on how you build (i.e. QB or no) you may have to decide earlier.

Thomas
-8/8A empennage (inventorying...)

RatMan said:
OK, I have read the arguments both way. But when do you have to decide? Are there any differences in the tail or wings or is it just the fuse that's different?

Not sure about the other models, but for the -7(a) You have to commit when you order the fuselage kit. Of course, it does seem feasable that one could change his mind after receiving the fuse kit and just send the parts back for the parts specific to the other model, but that's a waste of time and money...so the fuselage is the only real viable decision point.

Of course, the -7 demonstrator was converted to a -7A, so I suppose you're not really commited to one or the other...but that's major surgery I would not want to perform.

Just wondering Thomas, you went to the trouble to type -8/8a twice. What's it going to be? I have decided what I'm going to build, kinda, sorta. I'm ordering my -8 tail in the next week or so. It will definately be an -8 tail. :cool: I was just wondering if I could change my mind later. :confused:

Rat

TShort said:
I just got my -8/8A empennage kit - you don't have to decide prior to this.
I don't know about the wing kit - there is no difference in the wings, but depending on how you build (i.e. QB or no) you may have to decide earlier.

Thomas
-8/8A empennage (inventorying...)

Thanks Jamie, thing is (to me) the 6, 7 and 9 look cool both ways. The 8 really looks better as a taildragger. Yea I know, it's not about looks it's about performance BUT I've never seen an ugly RV. Even the 20 something year old -3 on my field looks great and it's getting it's very first paint job right now.

Rat

Jamie said:
Not sure about the other models, but for the -7(a) You have to commit when you order the fuselage kit. Of course, it does seem feasable that one could change his mind after receiving the fuse kit and just send the parts back for the parts specific to the other model, but that's a waste of time and money...so the fuselage is the only real viable decision point.

Of course, the -7 demonstrator was converted to a -7A, so I suppose you're not really commited to one or the other...but that's major surgery I would not want to perform.

Rat-

The tail is "undifferentiated" - you don't have to decide until later.
I agree that the -8 looks better with the tailwheel, but I fear that I wouldn't get as much utility out of the plane if I was always worried about x-winds. I am low time (~200hrs) and still get nervous in a x-wind even in my skyhawk.

I need more practice and some tailwheel time (which a good friend who is a CFI and owns a C-140 and an RV-6 has offered - as much as I want!)

Thomas

Back