What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

headset adapter harness

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Recv'd the adapter harness from VANS today, they are labeled RZxxx ( i think). The Old harness has co-pilot and pilot labels. anyone know which goes to which?

I have two sets of blu/wht wht and org/wht on the adapater harness along with :

The two green/white wires from co-pilot and pilot wire sets are tied together and pinned on #37 of the options.

There is also a black/white wire which i believe ties the two grounds together into 1 pin on the "options" harness. no mention of where that is pinned that either.

looked on the diagram but it looks to be for new skyview harness only, not the adapter for headsets (for those of us that have upgraded from D-180 harnesses to skyview)

questions is, has anyone else made this change yet.

no instructions on with the harness !!!

Last edited:
WH-00026 headset adapter

Mine was in a package called fix1 if that is what you are talking about. The RZ194 is the pilot side. The WHT/BLK wire goes to pin 12 on the WH-00026 "Autopilot" connector. Thats the way I interpreted page 42D-20 anyway.

Just to confirm RZ-194 is the pilot side. I tested it yesterday with the intercom. I didn't use any adapter harness. The cables are just long enough to attach them to the WH-00026 harness. I used page 42D-20 and some parts of old wiring with female d-sub pins.

schermafbeelding2012040o.png

Last edited:
Kyle,

I wired up the headset adapter harness about a week ago and found it to be rather straightforward. You have to follow the wiring schematic entitled, "Figure 2: Connecting the Headset Harness" on Page 42-20, Rev 1, dated 03/01/12 This is a very recent revision to add Figure 2 to the drawing and should answer all of your questions.

Keep in mind that RZ194 is the 4-conductor wire coming from the Pilot Headset jacks and RZ195 is the 4-conductor wire coming from the Co-Pilot Headset jacks.

Jerry

Thanks for all the info. Dl'd the revision page and wired it up. First test showed that I could hear the local AWOS on both sides but had lots of static. Could only volume up or down by pulling the squelch knob on the sl-40. Static remained thru all levels. I'm thinking the washers in the headset jack positions could be wrong.....

Hm, I am right on 42D-20 step 5 and I can't make sense out of it. I do have the revised page that shows figure 2. However, my harness lacks the wires that I am supposed to crimp to the Pilot and Co-Pilot Headset harnesses. The conversion harness claims to be WH-00026 but the actual harness as well as the testing diagram shows nothing attached to the pins that I am supposed to crimp the headset harnesses to. Am I supposed to add the wires and pins (the manual does not suggest that) or did I receive the wrong harness?

Found it! So, for others that might have become as spoiled by Van's kit quality as I did:

Look through the whole set of harnesses in the kit. There's a bag labeled WH-00026 REV 1 KIT (or in short WH-00026 FIX-1) that contains the wires and pins. Just insert them in your WH-00026 harness.
I haven't found the reference in the manual yet that says anything about it ...

Found it! So, for others that might have become as spoiled by Van's kit quality as I did:

Look through the whole set of harnesses in the kit. There's a bag labeled WH-00026 REV 1 KIT (or in short WH-00026 FIX-1) that contains the wires and pins. Just insert them in your WH-00026 harness.
I haven't found the reference in the manual yet that says anything about it ...

Thanks Torsten.... "Ya Bloods Worth Bottling".... you've saved me hours of brainstrain.

OK Torsten and Larry, help me out here. I don't think I ever received a "Rev 1" wiring adapter. I hooked the two blk/wh wires together and made a wire to go to Pin 12 of the autopilot, since there was no wire there.
The instructions to cut off all of the pins on the headset harness seems silly, since the diagram clearly shows 6 of them plugged into the "options" dsub!
Then it gets really silly when it says to "crimp a bunch of wires together", makes no sense whatever.
Was this "rev 1" thing I don't have something that makes it all make sense?

Don, The Skyview kit was initially released back in Feb 2012. It was issued with adapter cables ("conversion kit - not truly) for the wiring that would have been installed by then-builders. (I received the first end-user kit for that.)

BUT there was an intercom wiring error! The plans and wiring they issued actually ASSUMED you had a certain cable you would only have if you had previously bought the D180 avionics! Initially, your intercom wiring had nowhere to go! I reported that and Van's sent out revised instructions and some extra wiring a couple of weeks later. See this thread. That issue starts about post #30. It was a tumultuous time, there were other minor errors that eventually got worked out but that you are working through now because of the nature of your build. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782

I cant help you now, Don. I am in the Carolinas right now. I may have the original prints stashed at home. However, I did away with all the conversion harnesses by repinning all DSUBS to the then current Skyview schematic. Also, when I converted to the Gtr200, I removed the panel mount intercom. I do remember the double coax short harness. I will check to see if I still have it but more than likely I disposed of it.

That was a good trip back in time there Bill, the good old days almost 5 years ago. You had yours flying in a month of so after receiving the Skyview, I am still trying to get mine in the air years later! I guess it wasn't really a race afterall.
I tried to match dates and comments up, but I THINK that the page 42D-20, Revision 2, dated 04/13/12 is showing the revision wires, and it is possible that back in that confusing time either they upgraded the kit wiring to not need the extra wires, and did not upgrade the diagram to reflect this. Does that seem correct?.

Don, The Skyview kit was initially released back in Feb 2012. It was issued with adapter cables ("conversion kit - not truly) for the wiring that would have been installed by then-builders. (I received the first end-user kit for that.)

BUT there was an intercom wiring error! The plans and wiring they issued actually ASSUMED you had a certain cable you would only have if you had previously bought the D180 avionics! Initially, your intercom wiring had nowhere to go! I reported that and Van's sent out revised instructions and some extra wiring a couple of weeks later. See this thread. That issue starts about post #30. It was a tumultuous time, there were other minor errors that eventually got worked out but that you are working through now because of the nature of your build. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782

Back