What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 07-03 Step 1 trial fit of the rudder Spar to the VS

clucier

Well Known Member
Please take a look at this pick, have a gap in the upper bracket, the plan says to use only one washer between the bracket and the hinge on each side, doing so leaves a gap as big as the thick washer, bottom is perfect fit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yGECYZ5jsYY9Pvf9nZpnd5yaXfRXrMBo0u1uL-cNfps?feat=directlink

The holes in the spar are pre-punched as are the brackets attached to the rudder spar.

? Should I add another washer? is this normal or do I have a bum part? If I tighten this it will pinch on the bolt, not something I think you want on a critical hinge point...

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking but above that it says

" and only one washer between each hinge bracket and upper hinge assembly"

Please take a look at this pick, have a gap in the upper bracket, the plan says to use only one washer between the bracket and the hinge on each side, doing so leaves a gap as big as the thick washer, bottom is perfect fit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yGECYZ5jsYY9Pvf9nZpnd5yaXfRXrMBo0u1uL-cNfps?feat=directlink

The holes in the spar are pre-punched as are the brackets attached to the rudder spar.

? Should I add another washer? is this normal or do I have a bum part? If I tighten this it will pinch on the bolt, not something I think you want on a critical hinge point...

I have one washer on the top and one on the bottom of the top hinge and only a small gap left about .007 to .009 thousands and the top of the spar lines up perfect with the top spar of the stabilizer and on the bottom hinge I have one L washer on the top and one reg and one L washer on the bottom.
And my hinge brackets are parallel I checked with a micrometer

The bearing is .281 the distance between the top brackets is .417 two washers about .127 = or - balance .009 = or -

The top hinge should work out fine the bottom may be a little off as this is a weldment.

Last edited:
I had the same gap, took note of it and postponed for a decision later. I just noted that the gap disappears when tightening the bolt. The instructions are specific about using one washer only each place and adjusting by choosing between regular or L washers. As there is nothing about not tightening to reduce the remaining gap, I thought it was OK. Am I wrong?

Sorry to revive an old thread. I too have reached this step and have questions. The lower hinge (weldment) fits perfectly with one thick washer (NAS1149F0363P [AN960-10]) above and below. The upper hinge, however, fits with one thick washer below and one thick washer and one thin washer (NAS1149F0332P [AN960-10L]). There doesn't seem to be a consensus on adding a second washer or tightening the bolt to squeeze the rudder hinge closed. I would personally think it's better to shim it with the second washer but I would really like to hear the voices of experience first. :confused:

I had the exact same situation as Eric. I thought it best not to bend parts. So I used one thick and one thin washer on top of the top bearing.

Back