What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 Installation

JohnF

Well Known Member
I seem to be having a problem getting the '396 to fit in the panel. I have the bracket and the black plastic 'grabber' installed, and the spacers are the precise length. Yet the '396 doesn't want to fit through the panel cutout. When I depress the left side 'catch' I can partially engage that side, but that's about it.

Before I go chopping at the panel's cutout I wonder if there is something I am missing. Did you have problems? If so how did you handle it?

I think I am 'getting my money's worth' on this forum...seems I am constantly posting for information, but then again, that's what we're here for I guess. Thanks for any ideas.

You'll need to trim the hole in the panel to fit the Garmin. IMHO, most of the problem is caused by the gasket in the Garmin catching and interferring with the cut out in the panel. A file or a die grinder is the weapon of choice, but you must remove the radios and transponder to make sure no grinding dust or aluminum chips get in them. Cover the Dynon or remove it also. You just don't want conductive dust getting into the electronics for obvious reasons.

TOD (Tip Of The Day): Take a black magic marker and color the edges of the hole when you are done. It gives the panel a cleaner finished look.

Last edited:
Garmin 495 Installation

I'm having the same problem, sort of, except I can't get ours to pop out. I enlarged the right side of the hole but I still can't get the GPS to eject. I thought maybe if I file the right 'tit' on the black plastic bracket, it might release easier. I'm going to try to look back at previous posts and see if there isn't an easier fix.
Meade
612RV:confused:

I started to enlarge the hole and saw that it was becoming unsightly. Stopped unlarging it. My 496 will not pass thru the panel hole. Only way to remove it is to remove the panel deck (which has to be removed anyway for the condition inspection).

I thought about it for a while. The only time the 496 will come out is to update it, and I do not plan updates more often than once a year, if that often.

Also the 496 will not potentially walk this way.

If you really want it to be removable, wait till after cert and then get an AirGizmo mount.

Garmin 496 Front Release, ref 42-12, step 3

Now that it is Oct 2010 I would like to revisit this subject which was addressed last Feb. I would like to ask if anyone has enlarged the hole enough to remove the 496 from the front, and if so how much needed to be remove from each side and how removal was accomplished.

I have looked at the AirGizo but it appears that it will require total cutting of the center of the inst panel, cutting off the top of each side inst stack bracket and then fabricating suitable angles, etc to support the AirGizo.

John s/n 317

496 Hole

I did but I had previously had a control wheel mounted 396 so I knew how the "ejection" works. Yes you have to have a release hole on the left side. Once it is released it does not come straight out...it comes out right side first. Also there is plug on the bottom of the left side that room has to be carved out for. And of course since the right side is curved, you have to curve your hole. The best way for me was put it, look at it, file off what I thought was enough, put back in, repeat etc. Now it comes out fine. All that said, I haven't updated anything since it was signed off a year ago...lol.

And soon the whole panel will change anyway with the advent of the Dynon Skyview which will have its own GPS. Not that you will have to change anything but you know how we get when something new comes along.

An Airgizmo will fit between the instrument stack support angles. The hole does need to be enlarged for an Airgizmo.

Fitting the AirGizmo

Michael is correct that you do not need to cut the stack support angles. In fact the AirGizmo will mount to existing holes in the support angles, but I did have to redrill 2 holes in the AirGizmo.
1037745380_wQ3pe-M-1.jpg

1037745199_WZ2MF-M.jpg

I bought a center panel and angles to experiment with. Not installed yet because I would have to pull out the engine control cables and cut and splice the autopilot disconnect. Wish I could have done it during construction. Maybe I will install at annual inspection time, or maybe not. Like Pete says, Skyview might be irresistible.

Tony

GPS retainers

I can remove the GPS and NO modification to the panel was necessary.
The instrument panel opening does not have to be enlarged to insert or remove the GPS.
The GPS retainers only weigh 0.8 oz.
The GPS can be removed by taking out one screw from each side and by loosening the other screws slightly. Then turning the slightly loosened screws a few degrees will rotate the GPS Retainer, thus unlocking the GPS. Top cover does not have to be removed. No modification to the airframe is required. The GPS Retainers hold the GPS securely without any play.
It takes a little filing to get the ears on the GPS Retainers to clear the GPS slots while rotating the GPS Retainers.
I made the GPS Retainers out of 0.063 scrap. The spacers on the right side are 0.063. The spacers on the left do not need to be as thick.
GPS%20retainer.jpg

I had to trim my opening to get the 496 to fit. I later trimmed it again to angle it 15 degrees for a better view.
I also purchased an Airgizmo for the angle job, but there was no way it would fit. If that is the Airgizmo I see in Tony's photos they sent me the wrong thing. No wonder it didn't fit.
Dick Seiders 120093

Spoke with Airgizmo. The pc that holds the GPS is $99.50 additional cost. Then that fits into what i purchased. Guess I overlooked that.
Dick

Gizmo

The original RV12 prototype had a gizmo. They took it out so they could save builders the $100. And of course those that wish to have it can pay and install after fly-off.

RV12 Center (Upper) Panel Removal Mod Question

I am not the builder, so I'm looking from the outside in try to determine a minimally invasive approach for ease of access to the gps part of the upper center panel. My goal is to be able to remove the center panel to replace original 496 setup with a 560 in an air gizmo without messing with the engine controls, fuse panel, radio, and autopilot disconnect. Can I cut the panel sides near the base of the gps and not affect the rest of the panels components. Make it two pieces just to work on the gps without weakening the rest of the structure?

Last edited:
Depending on the builder, there may or may not be a GPS release hole to the left of the GPS. The top of the instrument panel can be removed by taking umpteen screws out. The Garmin 560 is obsolete. How about the 660? Read THIS thread for other options. The 660 and iFly 740 will show traffic and weather. The iFly has almost twice the screen area.

Back