What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Tango

I can't speak for the Tango's, but I just got a pair of Lightspeed Zulu 2's last week and they are amazing!
Incredibly quiet, comfortable, and radio transmissions are crystal clear. Of course, I'm upgrading from an ancient pair of cheap Telex's (non-ANR) so the difference is incredibly obvious.

I'm sure the Tango's are comparable comfort and performance-wise, but with the additional wireless feature. (Wireless made me a bit uneasy; I don't really mind a cord, but I would really rather not lose my headset in-flight in case of an electronic hiccup...)

I did quite a bit of homework before buying, and from what I've learned, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Lightspeed ANR models.

I also can't speak to the Tango but I have Lightspeed Zulu 2. I'm up in age to the point where I where two hearing aids - one in-ear (R) and one behind-the-ear (L). The Lightspeed Zulu 2 works incredibly well with hearing aids. Very happy with the purchase...

I considered the Tangos but I did not want to deal with the charging issues and 12 hour battery life, and that is when the batteries are new. Also the transmitter is quite large. I purchased David Clark OneX and am pleased with the decision. 40-50hr battery life.

RFI Vulnerable

I tried a Tango in my SeaRey earlier this year. The Tango picked up static from the transponder and the Rotax electronic ignitions. I sent it back before my wife's RV-12 flew. The -12's metal construction probably will provide better shielding.

I prefer LightSpeed Zulu 2 and my wife likes Bose A20 headsets although functionally the differences between them are minor.

Sierra

The Tangos are the Sierras modified to be cordless. I tried a set on and they are not as comfortable and are heavier and bigger than the Zulu 2s, which I own 2 of. The noise cancelling is inferior to the Zulu 2s. Also the battery pack slash controller is big and heavy.

I love my Zulu 2s.

Let's get to the OP's question - I have the Tangos - two pair. In simple answer, the work great.
I originally purchased the standard plug control units. they work great in any aircraft that uses conventional plugs. After some time, I found that instead of carrying a couple of batteries, Lightspeed came out with a modification that permits the LEMO version to charge a battery for the headset while using system power for the control module.
I jumped on that mod. Now I've the LEMO module wired into my RV-9A and it charges a battery for the headset. When necessary, simply open the charging port and remove the battery to install a fresh battery into the headset. Take the depleted battery and put it into the LEMO module for recharging.
VERY EASY and convenient.
The Bluetooth functionality nicely removes cable clutter from the cockpit. The wife loves that...
For the poster indicating they picked up noise - all handsets systems will pick up noise if the wiring isn't done properly - shielding connected to a proper ground, etc.
Overall, I will use the Tango in my RV-9A all the time. I've now got two pairs of Zulus that are gathering dust, along with my 30+ year old David Clarks. IF I need to take my headsets into someone else's airplane, I have the control modules with the plugs. I just have to remember to take the spare batteries...

As with all new technology, there will be the nay-sayers, as well as those who will eagerly adapt the new gear. I fall into the latter, when I see a benefit. The Tangos - IN MY OPINION (and I really don't care what others may think) are great for my flying needs.

Okay, I'm off the soap-box now...

OH, I forgot one point. According to Ligthspeed, the Tangos are NOT Sierras's modified to be cordless. The Noise Cancelling Function is the same as the Zulu. Compared to my Zulu 2's, there is no difference in Nose Canelling. The difference is in design and of course the fact there aren't any more cords getting in the way.

Now I'm really of the soap box!

Last edited:
I've flown with all the current and multiple-generations-back Lightspeed headsets in a variety of aircraft. I flew with the Tango several times very early on in both a Cherokee and the RV-12. From the beginning it was a good match. The Tango is an excellent headset and if your desire is a wireless solution, it delivers. It's similar in size and shape to the Sierra, but as pointed out already it's not just a wireless Sierra. In the aircraft I flew them in, there was no electrical noise except when we flew with a very, very noisy/leaky UAT ADS-B out transmitter. In other words, it was a noisy radio affecting the headset (and other headsets of all brands), not the Lightspeed headset itself. When I told Lightspeed about it, they even took that opportunity to do some serious research and to use what they learned to build in even better electrical noise resistance. Kudos to them.

If you try them side-by-side, you might find the Zulu 2 and especially the PFX deliver a bit more in the ANR department, but that's to be expected. What really matters is when you put them on and go flying each day. The biggest difference between the Tango and the Zulu 2 is the headstrap, if you ask me. You canlook at photos or compare them in person to see what I mean. Both work well. Oh, and my "original" Zulu headset didn't perform as well as the Tango ANR-wise.

And with the trade-up program Lightspeed runs (which applies to the Tango), you can get a pretty significant credit for whatever headset(s) you might no longer use, if you want - whether they're Lightspeed brand or something else (they have a special deal going right now for Bose trade-up's). And CFIs can get a special pricing deal, too.

There are several businesses near you that you could call and see if they're able to demo one. Or at least take a look at them in person if you haven't already:

Tampa Bay Aviation
Gulf Coast Avionics
Sunstate Aviation
Pilotmall

Last edited:
Two years ago at OSH I tried all the usual ANR suspects at their booths, and what I noticed was that each chose a background noise spectrum that was most efficiently compensated by their headset. In the end I chose the Bose A20 having used the Bose X. I have never regretted choosing Bose.

Tango

I purchased the Tango several months ago. Overall, I am quite happy with the headset. Most of my flying involves short flights< an hour, the comfort level is good, noise cancelation adequate. The big plus is the lack of wires in the cockpit.
This was my main reason for purchasing the Tango.
I usually charge the batteries after 4 or 5 hours of use and have not experienced
any battery problems, I do have a spare set of batteries, supplied by Light Speed as a perk for filling out an On Line survey, have not had to use them.
IMHO the only negative would be the weight of the headset. I have not yet used them on a long cross country flight where fatigue might be a problem.
Dick

I agree with Greg Hughes, on the issue of the Headband design. Personally I would love it if Lightspeed would use the Zulu 2 band instead of the current design (which does look a lot like the Sierra) [thus the erroneous idea that the Tangos are just Sierras modified to be cordless.].

Having used my old David Clark passive headsets, moving up to the Zulu 2s and now with the Tangos, I will keep the Tango LEMO module in the 9A and either use the Zulu 2s or Tango with conventional plug control when riding in other aircraft.
Switching between the conventional control and the LEMO control simply requires "pairing" the headsets to the controller. I keep the same channels dialed on both control units and then pair the headsets to the control module as needed.

Thanks All

Thanks All for your info

I like the idea of no cords I will wait until sunNfun to decide.

Maybe Lightspeed will listen to there customers.

I hope they update their design to include a better cord to be able to use the headset corded or cordless.

If not I will buy a Tango and a Zulu 2.

Joe Dallas

I hope they update their design to include a better cord to be able to use the headset corded or cordless.

The Tango can still be used in "corded" mode if batteries were to be depleted - a backup connecting cord is stored in the headset's "panel" box. Also, the cord that connects the Tango panel to the aircraft is adjustable in length (up to about 2.5 feet long), and there is a LEMO plug option for using aircraft power without a battery needed.

When you are using the backup cord between the headset and the panel box, the headset's ANR is turned off and it works as a passive headset. It's a mode that's really meant to be used when wireless can't be used due to battery depletion or some similar need. '

Try one out, see if you like it.

wireless connection ?

Greg

I would like it to make the headset wired with ANR and not use the wireless connection to the radio if there is something causing interference to the headphones.

And it could recharge the battery in the headset at the same time.

Joe Dallas

The Tango can still be used in "corded" mode if batteries were to be depleted - a backup connecting cord is stored in the headset's "panel" box. Also, the cord that connects the Tango panel to the aircraft is adjustable in length (up to about 2.5 feet long), and there is a LEMO plug option for using aircraft power without a battery needed.

When you are using the backup cord between the headset and the panel box, the headset's ANR is turned off and it works as a passive headset. It's a mode that's really meant to be used when wireless can't be used due to battery depletion or some similar need. '

Try one out, see if you like it.

Last edited:
Back