What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish kit order: Extras

madmaveric

Well Known Member
I posted the same thread on the Fuselage and now I'm just ordering the finish kit.

Other than the standard form extras is there anything recommended that I should add to the crate to cut on delivery costs later (It gets expensive shipping to the uk).

Due to running on a tight budget I'm skipping the wheel fairing kit and glareshield, but I may add them once the build has been paid off :rolleyes:

I have gone for the full interior.

I think I have everything I need but as always there maybe that $10 item that would cost $70 to ship if brought on it's own so thought I'd check in with the experts :D

Extras

Control stick boots, RV12 moveable pocket, pair headset straps. All available from Flightline Interiors in colours to match your interior.

Maveric -

You may also want to consider ordering the factory trim tab ... it was not available when I began my build, so don't know if it is now included in the empanage kit by default nowadays.

You will likely also want to order the new the canopy latch modification so the canopy can safely be propped open during taxi on warm days.

Now that the gas canopy struts with the metal ends are available, you may want to check and see if they ship with the finishing kit by default ... if not, may be a good thing to consider ordering.

Many have had problems with the rear window eventually crazing from fuel spills .... you may want to consider making sure the finishing kit has the new plexiglass rear window now that one is available. Installing a plexiglass rear window will be just one less thing to worry about moving forward.

You will likely want to order Van's tow bar too.

Happy building,

Last edited:
Maveric -

You may also want to consider ordering the factory trim tab ... it was not available when I began my build, so don't know if it is now included in the empanage kit by default nowadays.

You will likely also want to order the new the canopy latch modification so the canopy can safely be propped open during taxi on warm days.

Now that the gas canopy struts with the metal ends are available, you may want to check and see if they ship with the finishing kit by default ... if not, may be a food thing to consider ordering.

Many have had problems with the rear window eventually crazing from fuel spills .... you may want to consider making sure the finishing kit has the new plexiglass rear window now that one is available. Installing a plexiglass rear window will be just one less thing to worry about moving forward.

You will likely want to order Van's tow bar too.

Happy building,

Ditto....on "all" the items John-G has stated!!!

Thanks, some good items there I had forgotten.

As I will need a loan to finish the build I plan on a second, post build order for non essentials once I have some money again :p

My list of current items looks quite short, I'm sure there are other things I will need to add (I'll keep it updated in case it is of use to others)

The kit now comes with plexi glass rear window so that is one less thing to worry about, I need to check on the struts and canopy latch to see if they are now standard. The trim tab might wait until test flight as I guess it would be easy to make one if needed, then again it is fairly cheap.
The interior niceties and wheel fairings will also be a later addition.

Last edited:
Maveric-

May as well order the trim tab. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say ... the likelihood that you won't need any rudder trim is almost zero.

I don't think I've seen a flying RV-12 at Oshkosh that did not have either a trim tab or a wedge on the rudder. It would be interesting to see if others disagree with that statement.

Good point on the tie down rings ... I forgot to mention those.

Happy building,

My Van's-factory OEM trim tab arrived pre-bent. I installed it after my first few test flights indicated the usual "needs a wee bit of right rudder in cruise". Van's amount of tab pre-bending was perfect for correcting my right rudder needs. Yes, they are easy to build, but cheap to buy from Van's as well.

Order a few spare fuses of each size from Van's -- I don't know if you can easily acquire those specific "tell-tale" fuses in the UK.

Last edited:

In an effort to help you save on shipping, these tie-down eyes are fairly heavy. They are a pretty standard 3/8 - 24 thread with 1500 pound tensile strength eyes that you might be able to buy at your local hardware store. For those in the US, they sell them at Tractor Supply for ~$3 each or $5 for a 3 pack (which just happens to work out well...;) )

Maveric-

May as well order the trim tab. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say ... the likelihood that you won't need any rudder trim is almost zero.

I don't think I've seen a flying RV-12 at Oshkosh that did not have either a trim tab or a wedge on the rudder. It would be interesting to see if others disagree with that statement.

Total agreement. Van's tab is perfect for centering the ball in cruise flight. Heavy right foot still required during climb... :D

Good point on the weight of the tie downs, trim tab now added to my list.

What size fuses does the 12 have? I can't find them in the construction drawings and will get add a couple of each (as they seem cheap).

Van's parts LIST.
ES-00202 FUSE ATC 2 AMP $0.40
ES-00203 FUSE ATC 3 AMP LIT $1.25
ES-00205 FUSE ATC 5 AMP LIT $0.94
ES-00207 FUSE ATC 7.5 AMP LIT $1.00
ES-00210 FUSE ATC 10 AMP LIT $0.85
The LIT stands for light, it glows when blown. The glow feature is not available with the 2 amp fuse.
The RV-12 kit comes with one set of spares. If a fuse blows, it is usually due to operator error, not an equipment problem. Shut off the master switch before replacing a fuse. Do not replace a fuse in flight. Wait until on the ground. Years ago an airliner crashed in FL because the pilots were distracted while trying to replace in indicator lamp.

I found the list on vans site but didn't realise I need all of them (well almost):D.

I'll add a couple of each to the kit just in case, thanks.

I remember the airliner, I think it was the one that crashed in the everglades, very sad outcome for the sake of a bulb :(

Back