What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two Questions?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
1) I bought my 12 from original builder with 48TT. It is an early SN #58. Did the early kits ship with a Garmin 296? I keep seeing 496 and I have a 296. Happy with it - just wondering.

2) When flying from left seat my right leg rests/rubs against the corner edge of the center tunnel ? common complaint, or just me?

I can't speak to #2 but pretty sure the Garmin was added. It's been around much longer than th -12 but not sold for many years.

1) I bought my 12 from original builder with 48TT. It is an early SN #58. Did the early kits ship with a Garmin 296? I keep seeing 496 and I have a 296. Happy with it - just wondering.

Yes, your right leg will rest against the upper edge of the tunnel. Consider carpet or some type of padding to soften the point of contact. Or fly with a shin guard and rotate it 90 degrees.:D

Do not look at the Garmin aera 660 or you might not still be happy with the 296 :D

Actually the 296 is supplemental to a mini iPad running ForeFlight. Really nice seeing both "pointing the way" and with individual backup power sources.

Back