What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10-28..."Perpendicular to the Vertical Spar"

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
I thought that meant that the hole that I drilled should be perpendicular but (well, maybe it does) .... I was just about to drill those holes in step 2 after following all steps (really...) and decided to level the Aft fuse and check to see if the hinge brackets were plumb. They aren't.

Depending on the level I use and its mood (referring to the digital one..) I am between 1/4 and 3/8 out of plumb from the top hinge bracket to the bottom one. I chose the F-01418 longeron just forward of F-01407 as the position to level the fuselage. Fore and aft I did keep a little out of level so that the plumb line was close to the hinge bracket holes.

Anybody else notice? I cant see a way to measure perpendicular outside of a plumb bob. I accept suggestions.

Thanks in advance....

Did you try to see how much play was in the system? Seems like the (small) play of the mounting bolts in the holes and the clecoes (if you haven't yet riveted the fuselage) could contribute to that amount of play....

There is not a lot of play once you adhere to the instructions of 10-28. Guide holes were previously drilled in the bulkhead and the vertical stabilizer in previous steps - they should line up and provide a plumb vertical stabilizer. I will work on using a square to determine status.

Its a bit tough in this area to use a square because the aft fuse narrows down and does not provide a good reference for a perpendicular line. I would prefer a wider reference but it is what it is.

I posted to see if other RV14 builders had encountered the same issue. Particularly tail dragger builders.

Thanks

Until the vertical stab. is properly aligned and then secured at the front spar, you can not rely on it as a reference alignment.

"Drill a hole perpendicular" means at the location the hole is being drilled.

Perpendicular in this context just means drill 90 degrees (normal) to the surface at the location the hole is being drilled.
This can be confirmed in a number of different ways.
A small square held adjacent to the drill bit while drilling.
Align the drill bit to be parallel to a cleco that can be installed close by.
Etc.

Back