What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More Data Plate questions

N941WR

Legacy Member
Data Plate?

I recently had a two time builder tell me that E-AB aircraft have to have a non-destructive type data plate mounted in the cabin, in plain view.

Have any of you ever run into this before?

I do know you have to have one on the tail, but I have never heard of having one in the cabin.

Have had several different inspections by different inspectors and DAR's and they only required the Data plate on the exterior. Larry

FAA Advisory Circular 45-2C Page 5,,,,has the info...Look in FAA.GOV website in Regulatory and guidance library under advisory circulars. Exterior is all that is required near tail, or rear most entrance door.

Old rules - very old rules...

I recently had a two time builder tell me that E-AB aircraft have to have a non-destructive type data plate mounted in the cabin, in plain view.

Have any of you ever run into this before?

I do know you have to have one on the tail, but I have never heard of having one in the cabin.

Bill... very old rules.... the interior data plate was required before the FAA/DEA did their "drug thing" in the 80's and wanted all planes to have an exterior ID plate.

Made it somewhat difficult for the fibreglas glider owners who wanted flush surfaces, and they now have a written FAA exemption...

You info sources must be very old...:)

gil A

I looked through the previous postings but some of them seem contradictory and I have another question.
Date of manufacture: If I use the date of inspection then the data plate can't be on the aitplane for the inspection. Is the correct date the date of the original airplane Van's built, kit ship date, final assembly date, or ????

Empty Weight: I'd take that to be the empty weight of 143WM, but that's not the airplane manufactured by Van's-- that's the red one. Still, seems like it should be 143WM???

Thanks !!!!

Wayne 120241/143WM
Everything done but FF, started that.

The only information required on the data plate is:

Manufacturer......VANS AIRCRAFT INC.
Model.................RV-12
Serial Number.....120XXX

Officially the date of manufacturer is the date the airworthiness is issued. If you want to put a date, just use the month and year of the expected A/W issuance. You should pretty well have that nailed down in time to do the data plate.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the Manufacturer on the aluminum data plate be engraved with "Van's Aircraft, Inc." instead of "Vans Aircraft Inc." ?

The manufacturer on the data plate must be "exactly" as listed on the registration. Typically FAA does not use punctuation on registration certificates.

BTW, the data plate should be stainless steel, not aluminum.

Here is all you need, on stainless:
347i6q0.jpg
[/IMG]

Goodness, Don, are you really calling your airplane "Air Force 1"?

I imagine you'll have no problems at all transitioning the DC SFRA :D

Well, I DO expect some preferential treatment sometimes. Like when I say "This is Air Force 1 and I am going to try to bring this sucker in on only one engine", ought to clear the airspace a little.

Not for an ELSA (which most 12's are), you are not the builder, just the assembly grunt. No billing on the data plate.

Eab

Serial Number.....120XXX

Officially the date of manufacturer is the date the airworthiness is issued. If you want to put a date, just use the month and year of the expected A/W issuance. You should pretty well have that nailed down in time to do the data plate.

Mel what if it is a EAB rv12 not a Elsa?

I would not list Vans as the manufacturer correct?

Can I use my kit number?

I am about to start my paper work - this is good timing for this thread

Yes, that is why I can call myself the manufacturer and call it anything I want to. After all that work, I felt I should have my name on the tag. Besides it is more fun this way. In answer to another post, yes you can put any serial number you feel like on it.
1fwtwn.jpg
[/IMG]
Aren't you EAB don?

I can't stop laughing

Well, I DO expect some preferential treatment sometimes. Like when I say "This is Air Force 1 and I am going to try to bring this sucker in on only one engine", ought to clear the airspace a little.

Don, you are just too much!:D

You cannot take this airplane building stuff too seriously, if you can't have some fun, what is the purpose?

saw a 6 lately and the data plate was inside the cockpit behind the seat structure in plane sight. very nice. :D

FAA info on N-1AF

Reserved N-Number
Type Reservation Fee Paid
Mode S Code 50000010
Reserved Date 01/14/2008
Renewal Date 12/09/2011
Purge Date 02/14/2013
Pending Number Change None
Date Change Authorized None
Reserving Party Name AFC FLIGHT LLC
Street 1005 SYCOLIN RD
City LEESBURG
State VIRGINIA
Zip Code 20175
County LOUDOUN
Country UNITED STATES

This is (probably) not acceptable.

saw a 6 lately and the data plate was inside the cockpit behind the seat structure in plane sight. very nice. :D

For aircraft built after March 7, 1988 "....must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that is is legible to a person on the ground....." (ref FAR part 45.11(a))

An interior mounted data plate would not be visible to a person on the ground if it had a canopy cover in place. It IS possible that this -6 was built before March of 1988, but it's unlikely.

This all changed when the DEA starting requiring that the Make, Model, and Serial Number be placed on the exterior of the aircraft.

Last edited:
He sure has been holding on to it for a long time. Doubt he wants to sell it yet. I would sure love to have it though!

Reserved N-Number
Type Reservation Fee Paid
Mode S Code 50000010
Reserved Date 01/14/2008
Renewal Date 12/09/2011
Purge Date 02/14/2013
Pending Number Change None
Date Change Authorized None
Reserving Party Name AFC FLIGHT LLC
Street 1005 SYCOLIN RD
City LEESBURG
State VIRGINIA
Zip Code 20175
County LOUDOUN
Country UNITED STATES

question for Mel

My understanding is that some builders are installing the old EAA style plate on the outside and this meets all requirements. The others who use the three item exterior plate-does this meet all current requirements.
?? My understanding is that with the three line external plate. a second plate with the additional data is displayed somehwer else on the airplane????
(weioght, date of manuf, builders address, etc)

Data plate must be:

Fireproof, Installed on the exterior of the aircraft either adjacent to and aft of the rear most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces.
Legible to a person on the ground.

Information must include:

Make (builder)
Model (as shown on the registration)
Serial number (as shown on the registration)

Any other information is optional.

ref; FAR part 45.11(a)

So by the letter of the law, it doesn't matter which side of the fuselage the data plate is mounted. Is this correct?

Sure, it was furnished by: Aircraft Engravers Granby, CT, who also did the engraving on it, they sure do a beautiful job too. Just do a google search of that ID and it will pop right up.

Could you tell me where you got the Data Plate blank?

Thanks,

Mike

Data Plate and paint

I have a some questions on the data plate. I plan to fly before painting and the data plate will be attached, but when the aircraft gets painted I would like to have this plate removed then reattached, rather than having it masked off and painted.

Is removal of the data plate allowed for this type of thing? Do most painters just mask over the plate or remove and re-install?

Thanks

Mike,

A paint shop will mask it off and paint around it. But, you can drill out the rivets after you get it to the paint shop, remove the plate, and reinstall after paint if you wish. No big deal.

John

My paint shop drilled out the pop rivets and then reattached after completing the paint.

data plate vs registration

Serial Number.....120XXX

Mel and other DARs
I just noticed my Data Plate on the fuselage says the aircraft Model is RV-7A. But on my registration card it says Vans RV-7A. Is that a problem? Do I need to remake my Data Plate to add the word Vans? I'm still a couple months from inspection.

thanks

Mel and other DARs
I just noticed my Data Plate on the fuselage says the aircraft Model is RV-7A. But on my registration card it says Vans RV-7A. Is that a problem? Do I need to remake my Data Plate to add the word Vans? I'm still a couple months from inspection.

thanks

Yes, that is a problem. The information on the data plate must match the registration.

Back