What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix Magneto Install, Lock washers?

Roy25101

We are in the process of reinstalling overhauled Bendix S20 mags on an 0-320. The previous mechanic used the traditional internal teeth lock washers while mounting. My mechanic wanted to switch to split lock washers because he preferred them but unfortunately the studs are not long enough to accommodate the thicker washer.

My question is has anyone ever used something different than the traditional lock washer and nut when installing magnetos. As important as they are I am surprised there is no mechanism to lock these nuts down. Perhaps a drilled nut with safety wire or an all steel lock nut would work well.

I am just curious if anyone has any input into this thought..Thanks in advance.....

Why re-invent the wheel, use new internal lock washers as specified in the engine manual and move on.

Last edited:
Why re-invent the wheel, use new internal lock washers as specified in the engine manual and move on.

+1. I always use new lock washers when reinstalling or after adjusting. Never had one come loose yet. Our engine/maintenance shops do many mag changes and timing adjustments on our 28 ship fleet every year. Never had an issue. Why change what works...especially when it follows the KISS theory.

Mags

It important to use the special flat washers that are used on many Bendix mags. They are larger and thicker than standard AN washers. I have never had a problem with the star lock washers. If I have torqued the mag nuts and have a need to loosen them, even if the engine has not been run I replace the star washers.

Back